Latin!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Thanks Dr. H and Guest 55...will look at the link. It looks very helpful and will clear the mind a bit more.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hermanmunster wrote:trouble is the forum is addictive and the NHS just don't seem to have any suitable treatment at the mo...
Time for 11+ Anonymous? Back to Rehab I go then!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

MY NAME IS HERMANUMUNSTER AND I AM AN 11+ FORUMAHOLIC...........
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Time for rehab Dr H - join the party!
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

MY NAME IS HERMANUMUNSTER AND I AM AN 11+ FORUMAHOLIC...........
Think you wi11 have to join Dame Sa11y-Anne and a11 the others in REHAB, Dr. H. The time has come to take your leap of faith!

You know it's for the best, Doctor's orders and a11 that...
What's Latin for 'Go forth to Rehab?'
[img]http://dl2.glitter-graphics.net/pub/503/503972nj1p7cqdyc.gif[/img]
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

join the party!
Is that Latin for 'Go forth to REHAB'?
My Latin is very rusty!
[img]http://dl2.glitter-graphics.net/pub/503/503972nj1p7cqdyc.gif[/img]
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sound advice from Doctor LBSWM there, hermanmunster!

Rest assured that you do not need to read all 121 pages to join in. The madness is such that you can post anything you want and we will entirely understand you. (Provided it isn't in Latin, that is!)

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

I did Latin to A level, and though I am now completely incapable of translating a Latin inscription, my learning of Latin has proved boundlessly useful in understanding English, French and the Romance languages. If you learn to use your knowledge of Latin consciously to help you decode unknown words in English, French, Spanish, Italian etc, you find that after a while you develop an instinctive feel for the meaning of unknown words in a foreign language. I constantly teach my children words by relating them to other words they know in English or French, and my daughter is now able to use her limited knowledge of French to help with her English. She will be starting Latin next year, and I expect her to develop those skills further then.

But a knowledge of Latin is not useful purely to linguists - I'm not a scientist, but Latin and language learning have helped me hugely with grasping at least the language of science. Since (virtually!) everything we do is mediated through language, then anything that helps you to manipulate language will help you with other aspects of understanding, including science and maths.

If you wish to encourage your child to take an interest in Latin, then you could foster an interest in Roman history. My children love the Roman Mysteries series of novels by Caroline Lawrence - they start with the book "The Thieves of Ostia", and there are about 13 of them so far. They are a really easy way of introducing Roman life and culture. If those spark an interest in ancient history, then check out, Katherine Roberts "Seven Fabulous Wonders" series. (All available free from your local library...)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I agree with your comments about the Roman Mysteries books Guest - my children have enjoyed them very much.

And for all ages (including we wannabe grown ups) there is the Cambridge Latin Course, which is an entirely online course run by Cambridge Uni to popularise the language again. Very tempted by the idea!

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Dame Sa11y-Anne,

600th post - party on!!