Pipping!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
starmum2000

Pipping!

Post by starmum2000 »

Sorry for the completely random topic but I have 12 quail eggs in my incubator, tomorrow is hatch day and they are pipping! I'm very excited so sharing the news with everyone who'll listen, and you are a captive audience :wink:
At lunch time, 2 of them had very small cracks, and now 9 of them have almost pipped and are shaking and cheeping.
Progress is very slow at this stage but I'm reluctant to go to bed in case I miss anything.
If you've never home hatched before its a wonderful experience, they just look like random eggs until you hear the tiny cheeping noises just before hatch, then the wobbling, then the gradual pipping of the shell & emerging as a new little life into the world :D :D :D
Sorry for the waffle, I 'll go back to my egg-watching now...
Starmum ~*~
Fran17

Re: Pipping!

Post by Fran17 »

How lovely. My friend just showed me the video of her four little chicks breaking out of their shells. Her children were delighted. Enjoy the rest of your evening. I hope they don't keep you up too late.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Awwww - happy hatching! :D (and a new word to add to DS's 11+ vocab list - pipping :D ) Let us know how it goes x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sounds really cute :D

Primary schools can hire kits for hatching hens eggs ...
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Ah, Bondgirl, always an educational aspect on EPE!
Guest 55... hatching in my Nursery class is what started me off about 4 years ago! I haven't room for any more chickens which is why I've switched to quail :roll:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Oh this sounds so lovely...wish I had some chickens to hatch :D I've never heard of pipping before either.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Takes me back to my snake breeding days, watching them hatch! :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Takes me back to my snake breeding days, watching them hatch! :D
Hmmmm I draw the line at snakes....YUK :shock:
programmer

Post by programmer »

Looking for help wrote:
Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Takes me back to my snake breeding days, watching them hatch! :D
Hmmmm I draw the line at snakes....YUK :shock:
Come on! snakes are wonderful. They have only one rule, you don't bother them so they don't bother you.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

My third batch were mutants though. Incubation period of 189 days instead of 60-90. I assumed they were dead but my cut said that they were still alive. They came out half the length and twice the width with no taper so they looked like a worm. They were the most aggressive snakes I'd ever come across - corn snakes are not aggressive. I I'd lose a few....

Ealing, if anyone's wondering...

I'm sure they got eaten by rats, if not they'll be five feet long now! :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now