Latin!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
juliette

Latin!!!

Post by juliette »

I have just found out that after modification to my sons schools curriculum,he starts yr 7 in Sep 07, they will be studying Latin. My mother-in-law thinks it is a dead language. Does anyone else agree. What benefit is Latin these days? :?
Bakersdozen

Post by Bakersdozen »

Starting in Year 7 my son did two years of latin and a really hard struggle they were too! Also Fishbourne Roman Abbey mosacis rates as a really dull school trip - I accompanied them and agreed!

When he got to Year 9 they were offered a choice - continue Latin or take up Drama!! An excentric combination you may agree! He switched straight away and now in Year 9 is loving his Drama. However 3 classes of boys saw some use in Latin and opted for this. I guess for academic career in Medicine, languages or Law its a good choice - not for him though!

Good luck!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I hated it !!!!!!! Worst O level grade I got - fortunately don't need it for being a doc these days -

Was surprised though when DS started doing it in year 8 and is doing extremely well (and liking it) - suppose he got it from DH who did much better than me!

Main problem I have is not letting my dislike of a subject put DD and DS off enjoying it / doing OK in it .... or conversely accept the fact that they might dislike my favourite subjects.
ThursdaysGirl

Post by ThursdaysGirl »

Hello,

Is Latin a dead language? NO!

Oh, my heart skipped a beat and I swear a lonesome tear dropped from my eye. Ok, perhaps a little over exaggerated, but seriously, just those words damaged me for a lone second. <g>

It isn’t dead. It is a beautiful language which can take you to the top of a mountain and allow you to see all directions, extending the mind beyond expectation. Latin is still read by millions of people across most nations. Take good old Mr. Pooh bear for instance; even he has been translated into Latin.

Latin could never be dead as it is immortal.
Thursdays Girl. :)
One World, One People, US!
guestj

Post by guestj »

Wonderful news! Both my boys take Latin and love it!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Studying Latin (& Classics) doesn't seem to have done JK Rowling any harm! :lol:

I'm all for it, and regret very much that I never learned Latin at school, as it is the foundation of so many of the languages that I went on to study.

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I did learn as I was told [a lie I now find] that I would not be able to go to University if I did not have 'O' level Latin!

It has been useful but I think the teaching is more inspired these days [sorry Mr Fenne11y but those books were dreadful!

I found this link recently:

http://www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com/

It has some free resources and downloads
LoveyB

Latin

Post by LoveyB »

I did Latin at school. I hated the teacher but was first in the class. It really helped me with my English, and so many other languages are derived from Latin.
I think it is very useful if you are thinking of going into Medicine or Law as a career.
Te amo!

Post by Guest »

My son enjoys (and is doing much better!) in Latin than in French. I think maybe because he just needs to be able to read and translate Latin whereas with French he has to listen to and understand the spoken French. He finds listening to the tapes quite difficult and probably getting the pronounciation correct is difficult too. With Latin he feels very confident at learning the words and translating on paper. He was really looking forward to learning Latin and seems facinated by it. Hopefully it will help with other languages. I don't see him going into a career in medicine or law though...who knows.

Post by Guest »

I think it is very useful if you are thinking of going into Medicine or Law as a career.
fortunately don't need it for being a doc these days -
I did Latin and hated it but wish in retrospect I had paid more attention. I can see the benefits especially for those doing foreign languages or those just wanting to understand the origins of some of the English language.

I don't know about law but I can assure you that hermanmunster is correct and its not going to make a huge difference to those who may be looking to go into medicine. My failings at Latin never stopped me being being able to distinguish my gluteus maximus from my ulna!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now