Would you involve the police?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sportsmum

Re: Would you involve the police?

Post by Sportsmum »

It maybe that there is a known issue with the boy, that the school are unable to discuss with you.

The police will treat the matter sympathetically and will also take photos of the bruising to your son's face. Whilst it is assault, it makes no real difference as to whether it was carried out in our out of the school premises, it needs to be addressed. They will also liaise with the school's own Liaison Officer and ensure that the correct measures are taken. Unless the individual is known to them for similar behaviour an official warning will probably suffice.

It is horrible when something like this happens to one of your children - and I do sympathise. xx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Any update, Samlet? I am interested to know how the school handle it. I hope your DS is OK and not too traumatised by it.
scary mum
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

A partial update - I got a one line email to say that the head of year had spoken to all the pupils and that an "appropriate punishment" would be handed out. He also accepted that the behaviour was totally unacceptable.

But that was all, no detail of what the punishment will be or any other consequence. Meanwhile my DS says the boy has been saying that he doesn't think he will be punished. I hope this is just bravado on his part :evil: .

So I'm still feeling a bit unsure about the school's reaction and have asked for more information. Meanwhile DS sounds ok but a bit subdued and had to stick more ice on his bumps today. But as I'm at work I won't see him til later.

Many thanks for all the replies and good wishes for DS.

It is horrible and I am trying to ensure I stay sensible (when I feel pretty vengeful at moments).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think you have a right to know what is being done about it. I will pm you.
scary mum
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

That is shocking - I would be very tempted to go to the police. As has been said the incident happened outside of school, and the child needs to realise how serious his actions were and what could have happened. if it were an adult, you would not hesitate to call them.
I also sympathise with you, what an awful thing to have happened to your poor son.
lavenderhill

Post by lavenderhill »

also keep a photographic record of the injuries if this becomes a police matter, just in case.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

I did try to photograph the bumps yesterday but they were in the hairline and you really couldn't see anything in the pictures. And much to my surprise, although the spots are still very tender, now that the bumps have subsided a lot, there isn't a very visible bruise.

Which is good, except from the evidential point of view.

DS has bounced back, he is a very resilient character thank goodness.

I think this helps me feel a bit more detached, which I think is good, but tomorrow when I am working from home, I will be on the school's case and will escalate this to the head. And if that doesn't work, I will reluctantly, go to the police.
mystery

Post by mystery »

See what you get by return e-mail. What is the school behaviour policy? If this had happened in school what action would the school have taken e.g. an exclusion? Have they taken the same action, or can't they because it was out of school? In which case, if you think more should be done, it's up to you to go to the police. I suppose the longer you take to do that the more trivial it makes it seem in the eyes of the boy that did it? Are you concerned he may hurt your son again?

Good luck.

P.S. do you think the grandmother will be seeking permission to give this boy a lift home?
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

What do posters expect the school to do? Give him a lecture? Give him detention? We aren't talking about name calling or snatching your sweets. Call in the Police.
aargh

Post by aargh »

I agree with Pushy Dad.
This is not the sort of thing a school can tackle effectively.
In any case, as I said in my previous post, it did not happen in school, so why do people expect the school to deal with it?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now