11+ versus entry exam.....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

juliette wrote:I didn't mean to offend anyone :? I live in Coventry and there are no Grammar schools. I think the nearest one is Stratford. I thought they had abolished all Grammar schools(i lead such a sheltered life) i really did. :oops: Until i came across this forum. In Coventry there are, i am sure ,two selective and quite a few non selective. This selective....Non-selective,Grammar lark......Its no wonder there is a rehab!! :lol: Best wishes to you allx ps Lets raise a glass to our children. :wink:

Hi - I wondered if you had considered Stratford - it would be the nearest - the trip to B'ham is a bit far..

Post by Guest »

I can't say that I have met anyone who was 'upper class' at my kids private school. Habs that is. New money, lawyers, doctors, business people, gardeners and taxi drivers, yes. As for them being much easier to get in to.. ask IBEX whose son got offered everything but (and will thrive nonetheless). The fact that the most common result is by far an A also indicates they are not scraping the barrel for able students.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
41juliette wrote: I am poor.....We got a bursary,but it was up to us whether we paid the rest. There are probably more upper class children in my sons school than middle/working class...All i can say is God help them,because my baby is smart...... :wink:
I wouldn't start comparing other children unfavourably with your child before he has even started at the school. You might be in for a surprise. It is amazing how clever some rich kids are - mine for example has an IQ of 174.
IQ 174... I wouldn't be too pleased just yet. Believe me, there is a barrel of worms a waiting. Make sure your child knows there are more important things. Too much thinking is a cruel bed fellow.

Re: 11+ versus entry exam.....

Post by Guest »

Just for information:

You are entitled to get a detailed record of your sons's results under the freedom of information act under the data protection section. I have done so recently and it worked.

You may have to pay a fee however (which can not exceed 50 pounds) for photocopying etc. This is common practice by students at the University; if they have not paid their fees in full they do not get their exam results; so they get them this way (they can not get an official transcipt of their marks however...)

I do not want to mention the name of the school or any more details in my kid's case because I do not want the school to be identified. Having said all that, I do not see why you need the results if your son has passed, and it may sour relations from the outset if your son is going to attend this shool.

[quote="juliette"] my son sat exams in English,maths,VR/NVR. I have asked the school but all they say is that they are under no obligation to tell parents,and that my son did very well.
quote]
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Anonymous wrote:I can't say that I have met anyone who was 'upper class' at my kids private school. Habs that is. New money, lawyers, doctors, business people, gardeners and taxi drivers, yes. As for them being much easier to get in to.. ask IBEX whose son got offered everything but (and will thrive nonetheless). The fact that the most common result is by far an A also indicates they are not scraping the barrel for able students.
Ah yes indeed! It is INEX by the way. I have now found the full reasons behind ny son's rejection at the interview stage ( I have said I do not like mysteries) and hence we have parted ways with the school in the most cordial of ways (me with a smile on my face for saving 12k per year and getting my son at QE [actually he got himself there, not me!), and they with a smile on their faces for having a record year and a very smart intake of pupils].

I will only say one thing however (and then say no more): thank goodness QE does not have an interview stage, as many slightly silly things seem to be going on at this stage. I now see some logic in the new admissions code for banishing any form of interviewing in the admissions precedure for state schools. Having said that, I repeat: HABS is a very-very good school as well.

All the best,
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

IQ 174...

MMmmm :lol: :lol: , IQ 174! For some reason this is a very discredited test at the Uni. Whenever my colleagues hear this test, they produce hissing sounds of indignation (at that point they give the impression of a low IQ mob and they look sooo funny!)

I have tried an IQ test twice and I got 128 and 129 respectively. Apparently this makes me belong in the top 6% of the population (of which planet I am not sure!). My husband has said this can not be in any way the case, although I am indeed a top smart-Alec! Should I start looking for a divorce lawyer?

Now seriously anything above 160 can not be accurately measured (However, Einstein was reportedly 168, although I doubt he would have bothered!) Was someone pulling your leg?

Have a nice day,
sj355

Post by Guest »

sj355 wrote: thank goodness QE does not have an interview stage, as many slightly silly things seem to be going on at this stage. I now see some logic in the new admissions code for banishing any form of interviewing in the admissions precedure for state schools. Having said that, I repeat: HABS is a very-very good school as well.
I am interested in independent schools as well as 11+ exams. What have you discovered in terms of school interviews-did the school divulge the reasons why they do not pick students? You don't have to be specific.Child not suited to school? school not suited to child? etc.
All independent schools we looked at have an interview stage.Ie seems academic excellence is not enough. What are they looking for and how can we avoid any mistakes.Any help appreciated.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

If you look at the "Independent Schools" section of the forum there are several quite lengthy threads on interviews - a couple date back to end Jan/early Feb, and then some more on Page 2. That should keep you busy for a while!

Sally-Anne
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Well mentioning that you do watch cartoons on the television is a mistake (I watch them as well, as it helps me relax). He did not think of mentioning that he also watched Planet Earth, but mercifully he did not mention that he has seen Mission Impossible III either !!!
Being yourself if you are a happy little lad like my kid is is also a mistake.
(now how can you pretend otherwise if you are 10 and half is a mystery to me).

I repeat I do not begrudge the school, they have to select somehow at the end of the day. Obviously the school was not suited to the boy (his remarks was that they were nice but kind of robotic) and vice versa according to the judgement of the interiewers; but the reasons written down were small silly things. Just coach them so that they tell them what they want to hear and nothing more. I told mine nothing else than to go and be himself!

Regards,
sj355

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your quick, honest and specific reply,INEX.
I don't know what to say!!! But it gives me a good idea of how the schools think.
Best wishes to you and your very honest son.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now