Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Glass splashbacks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:20 pm 

Anybody out there had a glass splashback installed in their kitchen? We're thinking about it, but being someone who likes things to look nice with the minimum of maintenance, I'm wondering whether this would be a nightmare of smear marks. One of the sites I've looked at says 'if you can clean a window, you can clean a glass splashback'. Well, I hate cleaning windows. Would I regret a glass splashback?

Post subject: Re: Glass splashbacks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:27 pm 

One of the key considerations I found when fitting our glass splash back was the type of food being cooked frequently.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:24 pm 

My old neighbour had one. About a week after it was fitted she noticed that a fly had been caught behind it during installation, so for 10 years has been looking at a mummified fly whilst stirring her gravy. Apart from that it looks lovely and is very easy to clean. My fantasy kitchen includes a duck egg blue glass splash back ...off to buy another lottery ticket.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:13 pm 

When we had our kitchen done I was told that unless the plaster was perfect not to have a clear one. You can get the glass coated with the same colour as your walls so it looks very smooth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 pm 

marigold wrote:
My old neighbour had one. About a week after it was fitted she noticed that a fly had been caught behind it during installation, so for 10 years has been looking at a mummified fly whilst stirring her gravy. Apart from that it looks lovely and is very easy to clean.

scary mum wrote:
When we had our kitchen done I was told that unless the plaster was perfect not to have a clear one. You can get the glass coated with the same colour as your walls so it looks very smooth.

Aah, I did wonder about small creatures and dust getting down the back - presumably, if it's coated at the back, then the glass is opaque, and you don't see anything that makes its way between glass and wall?

lavenderhill wrote:
One of the key considerations I found when fitting our glass splash back was the type of food being cooked frequently.

What problems are there with what foods?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:47 pm 

We cook a lot especially Mexican, Nepalese and Indian foods, the oil and general ingredients spit a lot and so the glass helps the wall from suffering.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:07 pm 

we bought a house that had them in the kitchen (IKEA) - they were fine and looked good apart from some discoloration of the glue they had used to stick them on with which you could see despite the glass being opaque ... :roll: . The next house had tiles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:37 pm 

They can be very difficult to install if your walls are a bit wonky, you may find it is true to the wall at one side and there is a 2cm gap between the splashback and the wall on the other side. That would be the case in my house anyway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 pm 

Just had a new kitchen fitted and we've got a black glass splashback behind the hob. I just wipe mine over with a damp cloth - a microfibre one - no marks and it doesnt smear :D I also hate cleaning windows !!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 pm 

Looks like glass is winning! (Though there might be some budgetary issues!)