Pocket money/ allowances

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Pocket money/ allowances

Post by hermanmunster »

WFG - you might find he is lending and getting it back with interest!!!! the receipts may make fascinating reading...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We were just in the middle of discussing raising DD's 'pocket money' as she's almost 15 and seems to need endless amounts of things when a kindly neighbour popped up and asked her to babysit - pocket money issue sorted :lol: :lol:

Talking of which, I can't believe how expensive babysitters are!! We all sat down together (me, dd and neighbours) and discussed what was expected and 'how much' and it was agreed on a price of £25 flat rate, she had asked for £15, but they wanted to pay more :shock: apparently their friends get charged extortionate rates - I'm surprised anyone can afford to go out any more :cry:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

we pay £5 per hour for our sitter but if its less than £20 we always round it up to that since she has given up a whole evening for us. Its cash in hand and easy money as our DD goes to bed by 8pm and never gets up again. My OH also always walks her home as she only lives in the next street. Our next door neighbour would like to do babysitting but she's too scared of our dog (she is big).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I was thinking this the other day when DD sat for very sensible 10 & 12 year olds for 4 hours and was given £25. The time was spent revising/watching TV. The friends she sat for went out for a meal, adding to the cost of their evening considerably!

WFG, I'm interested in what you say about lending money. My DCs have a card to pay for their food at school and I can look on line to see what they have been eating. When DD was first there I thought that I would put £50 on so that I didn't have to think about it for a while. This of course meant that DD felt flush and was buying her friends lunch :roll: . I've since learnt to keep smaller amouns available, although I do sometimes wonder if DS needs two sandwiches occasionally!
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

scary mum wrote: WFG, I'm interested in what you say about lending money. My DCs have a card to pay for their food at school and I can look on line to see what they have been eating. When DD was first there I thought that I would put £50 on so that I didn't have to think about it for a while. This of course meant that DD felt flush and was buying her friends lunch :roll: . I've since learnt to keep smaller amouns available, although I do sometimes wonder if DS needs two sandwiches occasionally!

DD's school do similar - they have a daily limit which the parents can adjust - probably to stop the kids buying other kids food or "lending" money.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I was going to send him in with a few boxes of chocolate bars from Costco so he wouldn't need to buy any but then I thought they'd all get poached. I'm not being mean, I just don't want him taken advantage of by kids considerably more well off. I've suggested he sells them instead and it's a win win for all concerned - 30p for a mars bar instead of 55p in the shops!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now