Home ed

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twinkles

Re: Home ed

Post by twinkles »

Wow Sherry! I think it's great that you are able to home ed your DD and really hope that things carry on working out for you both so well.

It is a shame that the school didn't work out, just that I know you had put a lot of effort into hopefully finding the right school for your DD, so I don't blame you for being fed up of thinking about schools etc and deciding to have a go yourself.

Good luck.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sometimes it takes a knockback to make you see the light. A new way of looking at things and a new way of living. School is not for everyone and happily it isn't compulsory yet. I loved the Education Otherwise symbol of the road sign with the children kicking down the red triangle and running free. The more I learn about who decides-and how they decide - what our children should learn at school, the more I think you have it spot on Sherry. Well done.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Sherry good to hear from you again. Sorry that the school didn't work out for you but well done for taking up the home ed challenge and going with it. I know I couldn't do it as I am not organised enough but I find it really interesting so please keep us updated.

Is there a good social side to home ed. I would imagine that this is the thing that is quite hard to replicate (this is not a veiled criticism but a genuine question).
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

doodles wrote: Is there a good social side to home ed.
Here in Kent there are some really active home ed groups. Not sure about Sevenoaks but there is a very active community in T/ Wells and here in Mid Kent. We criss-cross activities with activities here in Kent and Medway as well as there is another active community there. That was my biggest worry when I started home schooling, my daughter is a social butterfly and I couldn't imagine how she would cope without other kids. We are very fortunate that in the main home ed group we attend there are 6 girls all born in 2000 and she also play with the younger and older ones too.

There are regular activities here that meet term time weekly like ice skating, gymnastics, trampoling, swimming, sports and athletics, horse riding, art (not crafty type but real art) among among many other things. On top of these you can pick other extra activities that are not organised by home ed just like as you would do when they are school. Our groups here are very active and there are a lot of one day event that they organise too like theatre trips, museum trips, parliament trip, boat tours as well as some team work adventure days to places like this http://www.arethusa.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Some kids were on a PGL trip 2 weeks ago. This is why we fit our school work to three and four days so we leave the other days for activities where she sees her friends. Even on some days we do school, she still has stuff to do in the afternoon, so we tend to finish early and have smaller breaks.

Most activities that are open to schools are open to home ed now and they sometimes ask for a minimum number and we just club together. For example DD is doing Salter's Festival of Chemistry next month. They wanted 4 kids so we just club with other parents so our kids can go. The only thing is I do travel around a fair bit eg on fridays I go to Medway for some activity there from about 11-2 then again there in the evening for something else. We really have to be sensible and tell her she can't do everything otherwise we would end up doing just activities and playing. It also cost money, with petrol being expensive now, I do notice how much I spend. Almost all the activities have to be paid for and its does add up, the one where a skilled person is required all tend to be at least £10 plus weekly and if you do a few that adds up.
Impossible is Nothing.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'm impressed. I wouldn't have aclue how to start.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

HOME ED HIPPIES UNITE! :D

(did I spell that properly?) :oops:

I am desperate to get started but DS has to remain in school until the end of June, with maybe a few extra sick days....
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Oh well, if the HE hippies are uniting, I should give a wave :-) I've HE'd since my eldest was 4 and now have 2 at school - 15yo dd1 went to grammar school at 11, 13yo dd2 went into Y9 last September - and two still at home. 11yo ds has a grammar school place for September, 9yo dd3 is going to stay at home with me forever and ever until I die ;-)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Waving at you Aliportico :D

I am sure we can have our little hiding corner here and you can give us some tips as you have been doing it for much longer. Who knows there may be other home ed parents on here!
Impossible is Nothing.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi sherry_d sorry to hear things didn't work out at your daughter's new school but well done to you for taking up the challenge of home ed! I admire anyone who is organised and disciplined enough to do it. I hope you and your daughter find it a rewarding experience. I am sure you will. :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Ooh how exciting, another home eder. I'm sure there will be moments when I want to strangle my child but I can honestly say that I have never been more happy and content since making this decision. Even when DC's started a new school I was never this excited. I'm not even excited or bovered (thought I wouldnt let on to him) about Ds1's senior school move in September! :shock:

Realistically I can only see a handful of scenarios, beginning with least likely:

Entry to Year 9

Back to music school for Year 10 already with 5 core GCSE's - not because I want early GCSE's but because the emphasis on academics is so low that I doubt he'd get any there.

Go to a tutorial college in Year 10/11 - I don't really see this as school, more half home ed, half school.

Enter formal education in the sixth form.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now