Shortening cricket trousers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

faitaccompli

Re: Shortening cricket trousers

Post by faitaccompli »

I accidentally put mine into the very hot wash and they shrank sufficiently to fit him. I had been contemplating attacking them with a pair of scissors prior to that.
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

If you do use the wonder web/hemming stuff - do sew them as well (twice round if you have the patience) - boys being boys manage to pull the hems down far too easily.

Additional note - neat washing up liquid on grass stains prior to putting the trousers in the wash works wonders - and for that added boost what ever oxygen based additive you happen to use. If there is any cricket played this season you are likely to need to remove ground in dirt on a regular basis until the ground dries!

The option of taking trousers to "granny" is an excellent one as well.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Anything more complicated than name tapes and Brownie badges is beyond me. I would head to the local dry cleaners and get them to do it. Well worth a few pounds to save your sanity!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sportsmum wrote:If you do use the wonder web/hemming stuff - do sew them as well (twice round if you have the patience) - boys being boys manage to pull the hems down far too easily..
Main cricketer in our house is a girl. :D Same applies.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The cricket trousers in our house were so long when we got them that they would have fitted a very leggy giant. I did get my needle and thread out and turn them up (note to self, remember to check they aren't flapping around boy's knees this year) and can't imagine why would happen to the disgusting nylon things if an iron went anywhere near them!
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

Scarymum, I use that wonderweb stuff and iron them under a tea towel. Do cut them off first because they don't fray! Just finished doing the 4th pair and I have to say it's a job I HATE!!!
um

Post by um »

Over the Easter holidays , ds2 went to a cricket camp for 3 days, as he loves cricket.
Ds1, who somewhat annoyingly, was back at school by then :roll: didn't go.

On the third day, ds1 and ds2 had a huge argument as ds1 said ds2 had his cricket trousers on.
Unfortunately, being the disorganised mummy that I am, I'd completely neglected to actually buy ds2 any cricket trousers, so ds2, without complaining, had simply taken them from ds1's drawer.

Now, ds1 is significantly taller than ds2 (think Laurel and Hardy and you can imagine them :wink: ) and the trousers were actually a bit big for ds1, so how ds2 pulled this feat off was a mystery.

He then revealed that he'd rolled up the legs and used elastic bands to secure the trouser legs in place on each leg , before letting a small amount of material fall down to conceal this contraption.
Poor ds2, playing cricket for 3 full days with elastic bands keeping his trousers up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe he'll be an engineer one day...

(He is now the proud owner of a pair of correctly-fitting cricket trousers)
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Trousers now shortened using the sewing method. I don't think Stella Mcartney has anything to worry about by my amateurish attempt. I'm not sure that drinking a glass of red wine before doing the task was such a good idea though! ( no g and t in the house)

However, also managed to mend something else so feeling virtuous tonight.!
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Used the webby stuff and they came down the first time I washed them. Needle and thread here I come. Which reminds me, I haven't seen them in the washbasket since last weeks training............................
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

MrsChubbs wrote:Used the webby stuff and they came down the first time I washed them. Needle and thread here I come. Which reminds me, I haven't seen them in the washbasket since last weeks training............................
Try bottom of the cricket bag? :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now