Guidance on Renting in Brook Green / Hammersmith Areas

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ConcernedDad

Guidance on Renting in Brook Green / Hammersmith Areas

Post by ConcernedDad »

Hi,

We lived in North London a few years ago, and don't have a clue about this side of town. We are relocating to London primarily for the purpose of being close to the school where DC1 will start Year7 from this September. DC2, now in Year2, got admission to a school a few miles away. Job relocation also worked out well fortunately.

We were looking to find a place from where DC1 can walk to the school, and DC2 can either be dropped by DW or can take a school bus.

I looked at a few places in the last few days, and they seem to be rather expensive for the kind of quality / space they offer. I knew that Central London is expensive, but I couldn't imagine that they can be so expensive :( :( :(.

We are fine with DC1 taking a public bus but would still prefer point-to-point travel time of less than 20minutes from home to school. Not keen on throwing DC1 into the chaos of Tube. I will of course take Tube or whatever means to work.

If anyone lives in that area, or has a DC going to a school in that area, appreciate if you can throw some light on alternative locations (Chiswick?) ?

Thanks!
mad?

Re: Guidance on Renting in Brook Green / Hammersmith Areas

Post by mad? »

Hi Concerned Dad.

I'm afraid Chiswick is not particularly cheap either! I understand your concerns about the tube but I must say both my DDs find it more straightforward than the bus and because it tends to be so much quicker this can widen the search area considerably. Bear in mind that in years to come DC will be travelling back quite late after school events etc. The tubes coming out to West London tend to be populated with commuters until very late and this can provide a sense of safety not available on some of the buses. Also, if DC get on the wrong tube the worst that can happen is that they get off at a tube station and come back. However, the two times DD2 made a bus error she ended up in a not particularly pleasant part of town, unable to find the the bus stop going 'the other way' and with no information point or map for guidance...just a thought.

Back to your original question, if you want a 20 min commute for DC1 then it rather depends which side of Hammersmith Broadway the school is, PM me if preferred. At the moment with the flyover being strengthened that 20 minute bus ride could easily be spent trying to get around the Broadway! Chiswick gets cheaper the more you move north towards Acton, away from the tube, so you could consider looking around there. Ealing, whilst further out, is 2 stops on the Piccadilly line from Hammersmith and is significantly cheaper. If you prefer somewhere a bit more urban lots of kids travel down from Shepherds Bush or up from Fulham, but of course the latter tends to be rather pricey as well. Good luck.
mad?
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Thanks very much.

Ealing and Shepherd Bush seem to be good alternatives.

School is on the Brook Green side of Hammersmith. sent you a pm as well.
mad?

Post by mad? »

In which case Brackenbury Village might suit as well but again, it is hardly cheap! Good luck.
mad?
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

mad? wrote:In which case Brackenbury Village might suit as well but again, it is hardly cheap! Good luck.
Thanks.

Any ideas / thoughts from others?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now