Homework Year 6

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

faitaccompli

Re: Homework Year 6

Post by faitaccompli »

When I ask him what new stuff he has learnt he keeps telling me nothing. Either his old school was way ahead of the game, he is learning subliminally or he is correct and is indeed learning nothing! I'm kind of hoping it is options 1 and 2!!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah yes, it's not a question you will get an answer to from a child - certainly not from any child of mine.

Learning to settle in to a new school is a learning experience in itself - and one that it sounds as though he has managed extremely well.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Last year with dd1 (now year 7) after sats were done and dusted,she honestly did nothing to the end of july with no homework being given.The days were whiled away playing games, baking cakes ,watching dvds, mixed in with a residental trip. I would try not to worry too much though, they will be stretched plenty in september. :mrgreen:
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

faitaccompli wrote:My DS started his new primary school in April (year 6) this year. In his old school he would have between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours of homework a night. And definitely a couple of hours over the weekend - projects, research as well as standard English, maths and science.
Hi faitaccompli - May I ask if the old school your DS attended was a state or prep school?

Cheers
Boo
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

It was a prep school - and I suspect that a fair few children going to his new school in September will be coming from the independent sector as well. Which is where part of my concern lies I suppose.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My DD is at an Indie atm and gets a fair amount of homework in yr5. I have been told by parents in later years that yr6 final term is about building confidence (residential trip) and relationships, putting on a big play and lots of other life enhancing but not especially academic learning experiences. I wouldn't worry about lack of homework at this point as your DS will be mixed in with others from a variety of teaching backgrounds when he hits GS. It will all work itself out.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My Dc's not not get very much homework at all and never have had much. Both are voracious readers and DD has recently branched out into writing her own stories just for enjoyment. DD has just done SATS and the rest of term seems to be back to their China / Olympics theme but are working towards an end of term show.

If the weather is getting warmer I will probably put VR practice down a peg or 2 for DS now I know he can do them and has his own tricks for working the codes out I feel a bit better.
dlb

Post by dlb »

I wouldn't worry about the homework and tutoring now. Not many other GS kids for September will be doing much either. GS place gained, Sats done - now time for some relaxing before GS starts.....!!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now