Birds and bees and Relationship Lesson in year 6

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
First-timer

Re: Birds and bees and Relationship Lesson in year 6

Post by First-timer »

mystery wrote::lol: Her midwife mother had clearly failed to teach her about immaculate conception.
A common misconception (excuse the pun). St. Anne's conception of Mary was immaculate as Mary was the first human since the fall to be born without original sin. The coitus-free production of Jesus is known as the virgin birth.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

mystery wrote::lol: Her midwife mother had clearly failed to teach her about immaculate conception.
O.K. - apologies in advance (Catholic upbringing.)

Virgin Birth = Joseph didn't put his body part in Mary's body part.
Immaculate Conception = Mary's father* didn't put his body part in Mary's mother's body part.

*New Testament Apocrypha name the maternal grandparents' of Jesus as Joachim and Anne.

Owing to the Catholic upbringing I knew all of this sort of stuff in glorious detail by the age of 8 or 9 but was barred from attending the school sex education class in case someone said abortion.

Owing to a school oversight I was once herded into the tv watching classroom and got to see two naked people running towards each other on the beach while a voice over guy said - "Inga is very happy. Inga is going to have a baby.."
But then the school secretary realised what had happened and came in to drag me out.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

push-pull-mum wrote:
Immaculate Conception = Mary's father* didn't put his body part in Mary's mother's body part.
The immaculate conception has nothing to do with coitus-free conception. It's all about original sin.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

First-timer wrote:
push-pull-mum wrote:
The immaculate conception has nothing to do with coitus-free conception. It's all about original sin.
That's how I was taught it but I dropped the whole thing in my teens so probably had it wrong.
Just checked with my mother - and that's how she was taught it to!! (only left the Catholic church in her early 60s.)

Worrying .... :?
Amber

Post by Amber »

push-pull-mum wrote:Owing to a school oversight I was once herded into the tv watching classroom and got to see two naked people running towards each other on the beach while a voice over guy said - "Inga is very happy. Inga is going to have a baby.."
But then the school secretary realised what had happened and came in to drag me out.
I am the last person to have tried to trigger a debate on Catholic theology so I will stay away from that; but I love this story.
The choice of name, with its Scandinavian resonance, is interesting - can't imagine "Doris" or "Sheila" working quite so well. And in terms of unlikely events around conception, does anyone on here recall sprinting naked towards (presumably) the father of one's unborn child on a beach? The only sprinting I did in early pregnancy was to the bathroom for what is euphemistically called "morning" sickness; during late pregnancy surely running would be unwise if not impossible; and being out naked on a public beach would in my case have resulted in all those well-meaning citizenss who come and try to rescue beached whales appearing in force.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

push-pull-mum

We had that film too! :lol: I think the father was called Eric..... !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah yes I'm sorry. I did fall for the common misconception.

We never had any films at school. I really did miss out it would seem.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Back to original thread (a bit) it now transpires that one of DD's classmates has 'started' so I am glad they are covering it all in so much detail in yr5
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

My dd1 and her pals have synchronised calendars on that one, she gleefully announced that four of them start around the same day each month, and many more within the same week. So keeping tabs on eachothers cycle strangely seems the norm these days..I recall the whole thing being shrouded in hushed secrecy in my day...sneaking in the giant hammocks my Mum would diligently pack, and being mortified by the mere prospect of anyone ever knowing!
mystery

Post by mystery »

There's some scientific evidence isn't there that females in close proximity tend to follow similar cycles?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now