Pocket Money

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

Oh Dear I can see that I am in danger of being labelled a scrooge! My daughter gets £2.50 a week and in exchange I ask that she keep her room tidy (she doesn't) and do a few chores around the house during the week - i.e. taking her things upstairs, washing up etc. (again, she doesn't) So, obviously the amount isn't enough of an incentive - as I do hold some back if she has been particularly lazy and messy that week or, she just isn't motivated by money!
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Good for you Mad Mum,

In an age were children think money grows on trees, I'm inclined to agree with you.
My daughter receives £5.00 a week (at most) and has to complete chores to earn it.
I believe children should learn that nothing is free in life, our daughter quite frequently asks if we have any jobs for her to do so she can make some money. I personally think that’s a great philosophy to have.

AM
sj355

Post by sj355 »

In an age were children think money grows on trees, I'm inclined to agree with you.
Of course the do not believe that. They all know very well that it comes from the outside walls of various buildings!
I believe children should learn that nothing is free in life, our daughter quite frequently asks if we have any jobs for her to do so she can make some money. I personally think that’s a great philosophy to have.
It may backfire to living with an individual that asks for money for even lifting his/her little finger. One of the joys of childhood is that most important things do come for free: your food, your room, your toys, your parents (and their love) , your friends (and doing things for them as they do for you, not for money) and running like a maniac around the park! :D
sj355
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

that most important things do come for free: your food, your room, your toys
These things do come for free, I don't charge rent, nor do I charge for washing, ironing, food.
Hey I even pay for their clubs/activities.

But as is the same for you and I, if we want something you work for it and pay for it.
Love comes free. Earning money is a life skill.

AM
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

£2 a week for our 12-year old. No regular chores but expected to keep room tidy (irregular) and help with clearing dinner table/washing up (regular). She has two 'screen-free' days a week (i.e. no telly/computer/DS) and forfeits the £2 if she breaks the rules.

Our 17-year old receives £10 a week, but also has a Saturday job which adds £30-40 a week. Washing her own clothes has been added to the list.

Does this qualify us to head up the scrooge party?!

Geoffrey
jah

Post by jah »

When I was at school, I always felt very sorry for one girl in my class who was expected to do a phenomenal amount of the housework. Her younger sisters had chores too, and I wondered whether her mother did anything round the house (she didn't go out to work).

I think that making bed, keeping room tidy and clean, emptying bin, sorting own laundry, and helping with washing up, is a reasonable amount to expect on top of homework and music practice.

We encourage the children to help prepare meals (or do complete meal in case of Year 10 daughter who's doing Food Tech GCSE), gardening, washing car, decorating, etc, and depending on the level of assistance provided might give an additional reward but not necessarily money. Getting up to push the supermarket trolley for Dad first thing on Saturday morning might be rewarded with a pack of biscuits or a choice of dessert, for example.

It has been shown that money is not a good motivator in any case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivation

:)
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Love comes free. Earning money is a life skill.
The trick is that love makes you do things for your loved ones, for free. I expect my child to bring me a glass of water (as I bring to him) for free, not for money. Where you draw the line (and start paying or getting paid from your loved ones) is very tricky.

Earning money is a necessity, not a life skill. Earning lots of money however requires some skill! :wink:
sj355
mousaka

Post by mousaka »

I think it is necessary to demand from little ones to do some housework, especially when they get older, but at the moment in the fever of preparation for 11+ my son does not have time for anything else other that occasional pushing trolley in the shop, bringing his plate from the room to the kitchen , placing his socks in the basket and placing toilet rolls in the capboard. Very hard to fit household chores in his busy schedule of music, concerts , tutor, swimming etc.. I would personally not pay him for his duties(like homework , oh horror!) , but occasionally award him for his achievements , can be quite small sometimes.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Were you got some notion I pay my child to bring me water, do homework, bring the paper? No they are acts of love.
My children will earn money by making sure there room is clean, washing is put away, tidying up after themselves.
I pay for all activities, I believe children should have responsibilities.
If they choose not to pocket money is revoked.

Instead of attacking what I and others see as teaching children "Life Skills"
Look at your own philosophy.
he protests that I give him too much
What is that teaching him?

We all have our own ways and I should not be condemned for something I believe in.

Let's hope in the future these children don't expect mortgages paid, bills paid.
I hope to teach my daughter "Life Skills" well before I hope she wishes she had learnt them!

AM

Post by Guest »

What does this say about me? When my daughter became utterly recalcitrant with her 11+ practice during the summer, I told her she would get £1 per day for attitude during the work/practice, and would lose money for each moan or other bad behaviour. It worked pretty well (she passed, by the way).

My daughter's weakest subject is maths, and I have found it necessary to do extra work with her at home. So, now as bribery to do that extra work, for about half an hour, she and her brother get 50p each! This is how they earn their pocket money. We do pay for comics, clothes and plenty of treats, but if there's something they want I'll often say they have to pay for it themselves. (My children are years 6 and 4)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now