NHS v Private dilemma -Sorry it's a long rant!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Re: NHS v Private dilemma -Sorry it's a long rant!

Post by Snowdrops »

We have private health insurance and dd has had 5 major operations through it.

Because her condition is a lifelong 'thing' our previous insurer (it's since been changed as hubby changed jobs) said when she was just being monitored (as opposed to being operated on and treated) we had to use the NHS service (we're now waiting for the second company to say the same thing :)) - the same service we first used to get referred in the first place.

When found we were seeing the same counsultant in the NHS as we had in the private sessions and the operations themselves were done under special arrangements through the NHS hospital as there was no paediatric anaesthetist or nurses at the local private hospital.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Yes they mentioned the post op bleed normally happening at home, the sulcus wasn't really talked about, other than noting it was prominent and asking whether she'd had a cardiac evaluation, which she hasn't.
And the glue ear is being treated with grommets yes, I gather that's a common affliction!
Yes the anxiety is palpable..virtually! Thanks for all your suggestions & comments, really appreciate them all :)
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

mm23292 you have been through an awful lot and of course this will be a worrying time for you. My advice would be to ask as many questions as you need to. It is important that you feel fully informed and confident. We once waited just outside the operating theatre with our son while his Consultant answered a last minute question.

I have to say I am a huge fan of the NHS but then I have had, in the main, very positive experiences. We can only judge as we find. I hope that the surgery improves things for your DD and I hope she recovers quickly.

Best wishes.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

You are right Fran. It's been a daunting few weeks, so anxiety levels have been a little elevated!
She is having the op on Monday, and having had a reassuring chat with the lovely paediatric nurse who will be looking after her, feel a whole lot calmer :)
Again, big thank you to all
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Whenever its cervical smear time, during that undiginified process, I always think how 'lucky' us women are to be offered this procedure free, whilst many people can't get basic healthcare in other countries. It makes me grateful for the NHS :lol:

Hope the op goes well.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

pheasantchick wrote:Whenever its cervical smear time, during that undiginified process, I always think how 'lucky' us women are to be offered this procedure free, whilst many people can't get basic healthcare in other countries. It makes me grateful for the NHS :lol:
My thoughts exactly. we sometimes forget hope lucky we are in this country, overall
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Trying to feel lucky. Not suceeding. Had reminder letter. Now feel guilty they had to send reminder letter.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Disgusting behaviour NKMum...just think how much money your reminder letter cost the NHS :P ..... I was 6 months overdue for my last one and was told off severely by the crabby practice nurse :shock:

Anyway..back to OP....I'm sending all my best wishes to you for Monday, all will be fine and I'm sure she will be running around surprising you all ...keep her topped up with analgesia and keep her eating ! x
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

[quote="scarlett"]Disgusting behaviour NKMum...just think how much money your reminder letter cost the NHS :P ..... I was 6 months overdue for my last one and was told off severely by the crabby practice nurse :shock:

Nurse is probably crabby because of the targets /hoops she is being made to jump through to ensure her "performance" is optimum. Being allowed the time to treat people with the humanity they often need does not seem to count as a target.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Unfortunately, the NHS works on a postcode lottery just like the 11+ grammar schools. But even still, the NHS is falling apart at the seams by ridiculous changes each government keep implementing at a huge cost. Current NHS care is all about cost, cost, cost, cuts to budgets - and how cheap they can provide a service and with a bare minimum of treatment to patients. Managers and the government do not give two hoots about quality of care. They are completely out of touch with what is actually occuring at grass roots in the NHS. They are more concerned about staff having ticked the boxes and covered their "equality & diversity" training, or their "clinical governance training" or perhaps "child awareness" or maybe even "health & safety" - the list goes on. The amount of mandatory training for NHS staff is phenomenal and wastes so much clinical time. Obviously, training is essential for staff but in areas that are pertinent to their profession. There have been huge changes occur over the last x number of years. Staff morale is lower than ever now, posts are being cut and the clinicians left are expected to cover the same workload. Staff are completely overstretched and just cannot provide the same quality of care. The only decent thing about the NHS is its emergency care. The fault does not lie with the clinical professionals themselves, but the management above. The NHS is only going to worsen with the government's current planned changes to the service.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!