Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:06 pm 

Ok, I give up, just how do you get them clean properly and eliminate the dirt ring on the collars? I know you cannot see it when they are wearing the shirts but I know it is there. DG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:40 pm 

I try to make sure they only get worn for one day, and that way the dirt doesn't seem to get too ingrained. Although dd1 keeps losing shirts (no, I don't know how either) so atm they don't actually have enough for one a day without me doing small washes during the week, which I'd rather not have to. Anyway, my girls have John Lewis open-necked short-sleeved blouses and they seem to stay nicely white.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:48 am 

Clean neck and clean shirt daily. Only my DS wears shirts as DD's uniform has polo shirts. He's a very stinky boy at the mo' because of puberty ( he can be whiffy within three hours of showering) and to be honest, his collars are the least of my worries! His M&S shirts are washed at forty degrees and so far haven't developed grubby collars.

Does your DD use a lot of perfume on her neck? If so, perhaps it's leaving residue on her blouses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:01 am 

For me it's a liberal spray at collar and cuffs (hubby!) with good old Mr Musle Kitchen Cleaner (again - see previous on grass stains :)) left for 10/15 minutes to do its magic then a 50 degree wash. I find 40 degrees is ok at getting light muck/every day wear out, but for that added oomph, you need the water just that bit hotter. HTH :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:17 pm 

My DS's shirts get very dirty around the collar too despite having a change of shirt every day. I use Ariel stain remover first and rub it into the collar and then the shirts are washed with Ariel gel. It works brilliantly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:35 pm 

It's my DS's white PE kit that drives me mad. I've resorted to soaking it in bleach - can't be sensible really.

Who on earth ever thought white shorts & t-shirts for boys were a good idea? :shock: