Tips on persuasion

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Minesh

Tips on persuasion

Post by Minesh »

Please help with advice on persistence

I posted elsewhere (under GCSEs) - DC has been placed into set 2 Physics despite practically 99% in each topic test through out year but did not fall within top 33 for set 1 (36th)in year group on end of year exam. DC knows just as good as others but not on exam day and silly errors depressed score

Head of Faculty says set2 is as good for As and A* and cannot put 34 in class; this is DC strongest subject so not just about being 'pushy parent' but annoyed with school :mrgreen: as did not see this placement coming and then told at end of year DC not as thorough in detail as others; i thought if School had told me that then i could have done something about it!

I know i am going to have to be patient and persistent - i do not like confrontation but I have written to Head after Head of facutly said no and you can write to Head
Guest 55 - does Head of Faculty always have last word on subject?

next step - is there any help with Parent partnership or is that just for SEN pupils

any advice please
Snowdrops

Re: Tips on persuasion

Post by Snowdrops »

Are the 'top' set taught anything different from the second set? I really can't see that they would be in physics. They're all doing the same exam at the end of it, perhaps you should be persuading your DS to work harder and prove the teacher wrong?

Personally I wouldn't sweat it. If he's good he'll get the grade he deserves whichever set he's in.

If anyone can advise you differently I'm sure they'll be along shortly and tell you :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm afraid that we have this sort of policy too and I suspect most schools do.

Sets 1 & 2 would cover the same content and a line has to be drawn; wherever that line is someone will complain! Did you request a move earlier in the year?

If your DC had done badly all year and then come 30th would they have been moved? I doubt it.

A change of teacher in Year 11 is not necessarily a good thing and we rarely change sets once the GCSE has started as it is more disruptive to the student.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

If you are worried the just supplement at home, although I'm sure it will be fine.
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

Thanks for your replies

I can't supplement further at home - DC already works quite hard - i agree i am always encouraging to work harder but on this occasion i have difficulty accepting i am the one or at lease DC is just below where line has been drawn

i had hoped there was more i could do - more fight in me
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I can see that you are very worried about this situation Minesh. How does your DC feel? Hopefully you are encouraging him to believe that he can still attain an A* or A in the second set? As others have said, as long as he is covering the same material he should be fine. Unfortunately it is irrelevant to the school that Physics is your DC's best subject. Sadly, he did not quite make the cut, but if it were me I would be showing him that he can prove himself by working hard and doing equally as well in the second set!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would put my energies into encouraging your DC to practise past papers. Focus on helping to get that A* not changing groups - at most high achieving schools both groups will get plenty of A*s. Many Grammars don't bother setting in single sciences anyway ...
Last edited by Guest55 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

you are generous with your time and advice :mrgreen:

you all speak rationally but i do not feel that way - i know deep down you are probably right and maybe i will come round to thinking this way but it appears such an injustice!

yes 1% off the cut off but consistently better in topic tests throughout year than others - why can;t that be taken into account? or is it now a battle of wills? schools not giving into parent

i know i might have to live with and accept School's decision but it bothers me inside - DC knows but doesn't know how disappointed i am - DC is disappointed and cried

thanks anyway :?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I think you need to stop viewing it as an injustice as it will do you know good. I talk from experience where an even greater injustice will affect my son in his new school as the effects could even affect university allocation. Sounds unbelievable but it is true. :(

Who is to say what the talents of the other children are? It may be that one child hasn't done as well in tests in the past but the teacher can see that this child is truly gifted in the subject and has a higher level of thinking so looked beyond the exam marks. Remember that there were other children who did better than your son and also do not have a place in the set. I'd actually be more concerned if a school only looked at exam marks so I'm sure more than this exam has been taken into consideration.
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

Sorry for your experiences WFG - you are right when you say its not going to do me nor anyone any good seeing it as an injustice.

Did you manage to resolve your son's situation - was there a change in school involved or have you made the best of it?

:(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now