The Olympics - London 2012

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Re: The Olympics - London 2012

Post by Snowdrops »

Actually, thinking about it, we WILL be watching the diving. We are supporting the current British Champion, Jack Laugher, who goes to DD's school. He's only 17, bless, but just not as well known at TD, and doesn't want to be - but he may not get the option!
mad?

Post by mad? »

So, the N/S Korea :oops: flag mix up, embarrassing no? Haven't even had the opening ceremony yet!
mad?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

What I don't understand is why, when every banana republic in existence fields its own team, we don't have separate teams for England scotland and wales. "Team GB" is a truly dreadful concept which has me in search of a bucket whenever it is mentioned .
As far as the Korean flag episode goes - I can see why south koreans would be very insulted by the north korean flag but not the other way round - in their dreams!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Well at least we didn't play the Borat team to a Kazakstan medallist - yet :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17494812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I should imagine that North Koreans who didn't display outrage at being shown with a South Korean flag might get in a lot of trouble when they got home. Besides, the ones they allow out to compete are probably the ones who are totally reliable in terms of 'party line'. They don't want defections.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I don't think I'm strong enough for the next three weeks :evil:
magwich2 wrote:What I don't understand is why, when every banana republic in existence fields its own team, we don't have separate teams for England scotland and wales. "Team GB" is a truly dreadful concept which has me in search of a bucket whenever it is mentioned .

Then you wonder why people want independence :lol: Maybe if people felt truly part of the union there wouldn't be a place for the SNP.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have just heard that the nation (that would be Nation GB) is being exhorted to ring bells tomorrow morning in solidarity with the fact that it will be 12 hours to the start of the games.

We do seem to be getting very proficient at putting on lavish but ultimately empty gestures of public extravagance ; it's a great pity our energies don't extend either to efficency in the logistics department, or the compassion which might lead to making it a bit easier for the elderly and disabled to move around our newly olympicised cities.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:I have just heard that the nation (that would be Nation GB) is being exhorted to ring bells tomorrow morning in solidarity with the fact that it will be 12 hours to the start of the games.

We do seem to be getting very proficient at putting on lavish but ultimately empty gestures of public extravagance ; it's a great pity our energies don't extend either to efficency in the logistics department, or the compassion which might lead to making it a bit easier for the elderly and disabled to move around our newly olympicised cities.
Agreed - for all that it has any effect up here in the wilds they may well be holding it in a different country. I gather they have had to do something nasty to Big Ben to make the hour bell strike 42 times in 3 minutes tomorrow morning... not good for it, might take months to sort out . Last time they changed it was to be a minute bell in Feb 52 .. that was 5 times a minute not 14..

Anyway on the positive side I am working during the opening ceremony so at least that might be quiet :lol: :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Amber wrote:I have just heard that the nation (that would be Nation GB) is being exhorted to ring bells tomorrow morning in solidarity with the fact that it will be 12 hours to the start of the games.
Amazing, I thought "The Big Bong" was just the invention of a certain comedy series but it turns out to be a real event. That's all good then.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Our roads in Kingston shut down for the weekend from 6am Sat morning due to the cycling race. Just trying to figure out logistics to carry on normal family life! Bit tricky when you are expecting visitors who won't be able to drive to you and when children announce they need taxing to various places!!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Why 42 times, does anybody know ? :oops: