Gift for tutor

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
marigold

Re: Gift for tutor

Post by marigold »

I made a huge cake and put it in a snazzy tin. Our tutor had always enjoyed my homemade goodies with her cup of tea so I knew I was barking up the right tree.

Re gifts to GPs. My father was a GP and each Autumn we couldn't move for pheasants shot by his patients, I have horrible memories of my mother gutting them on the kitchen table. My husband is a hospital consultant and also gets given a lot of gifts, alcohol mainly, very gratefuly received and really heart warming to think that he and the NHS service he provides are so much appreciated.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

A home made cake sounds a lovely idea :D The tutee could help make it for the personal touch. :D
Eraldo

Post by Eraldo »

Hi mike1880, Snow drops
I will give gifts to anybody who have done a great job!! so....
Halemum... thats very good ... I think you can give a card with lovely words and a gift voucher to an amount which you can...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm with um on this one. I would be very embarrassed by a gift voucher. A thank you card ( especially home made) is lovely. Bunch of flowers at the most.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

I wanted to thank my DS's tutor when we finished so I did buy her an orchid and my DS wrote a thank you card. When my DS came out smiling, once a fortnight, after seeing his tutor, I think a little token of our appreciation was much needed.

When we received his results, I arranged for a bouquet to be delivered. With two DS's at GS, I could not thank their tutor enough because it was a job I could not have done at home with them!
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

I would be really embarrassed to recieve a gift voucher, chocolates, etc but a nice 'Thank You' card made by the child is always welcome & appreciated.

I think most tutor's reward is their tutee's success. The smile on their faces when they walk out of the door every week after their lessons and describe the session to their parents is priceless. I would much rather have a happy, satisfied customer than an oblidged one.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Recently said goodbye to the lovely lady who tutored both DS's and about a week later sent her a card and some flowers that covered both of them IYKWIM. When DS1 left her we just sent her a thank you card as I knew we were going back, after DS2 finished it was a bit more final. Knew that she loved flowers and wanted to send them before the results came out as we wanted to thank her for her support and encouragement and not seem as if the gift was results based.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Plants for the garden are great gifts. I received a lovely acer tree for the garden last week. Last year I got a rose bush called 'Happy days'- it always makes me smile when I pass it! (She also passed too!)
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. You have given me food for thought and I have come to a decision which I'm sure the tutor appreciate. Your ideas have been a great help to me. Thanks again! :D
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Some of these remind me of a Jane Austen character making the case to her husband as to why there was no need to give any money to his widowed mother and sisters. :lol:

You don't need to give anything to a tutor who has, after all, been paid for their work. There is no obligation there. If, however, you feel grateful to them and want to express that gratitude then go ahead. I'm sure tutors are happy with a thank-you and the knowledge that happy parents are likely to recommend them to prospective tutees but I doubt that they actually dislike being given gifts. That would be pretty ungrateful, wouldn't it?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now