Eating after braces

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Samlet

Eating after braces

Post by Samlet »

Hi all

My DS is having braces fitted over two appointments, the first on Tuesday, the second one week later. I think that the first appointment is when the train tracks are fitted and the second when they are wired up or connected however that is done.

I know he will be in pain and people have suggested that he will have difficulty eating, but now that it is imminent I am wondering how this will actually work out. Will the problems in eating come after the first appointment, or only the second? Or, both :shock: :shock: :shock: ?

And is soup really the only option, or is it just that chewing will be hard, so something soft like pasta would be ok?

I'm sure that lots of you have been through this, so advice would be very helpful please.

Many thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Eating after braces

Post by hermanmunster »

DD had things glued onto her teeth then the tracks fitted on one go (had removable thingy beforehand) - not great pain - just needed a bit of ibuprofen and sucked the food ( pasta etc) and some yoghurts. Basically back to normal diet in 2 days but still cut stuff up small and avoided using the gnashers to bite hard onto stuff (in case the metalwork broke). The one time it did hurt was when it was rewired and tightened up but again that went after about 24 hrs.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It seems to vary. DD was in quite a lot of pain and on soft foods for a week or so after they were first fitted. DS wasn't in pain bu his front two teeth were very sensitive for some reason so he couldn't bite anything (or even touch them). Each time DD had them tightened up I dosed her with ibuprofen first.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes I think the pre dosing helps!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Similar experience here - DD was in quite a bit of pain after the fitting (all done in one appointment). She was sore for 3-4 days afterwards too and didn't really feel like eating much. The orthodontist gave us lots of useful aftercare information - what to avoid, cleaning etc.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Thanks - doesn't sound so bad after all.

I was definitely planning to pre-dose, but was just worrying that he would fade away on soup for a week - he only likes tomato!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DS was encouraged to eat normally after his was put on as it was apparently important he "used his bite"! but I think it varies. He had most trouble with rice as he found it tended to get stuck behind the wire.
yunny

Post by yunny »

Hi, my son had 4 molars out, 2 at top and 2 bottom before upper and lower braces were fixed. He said it does hurt at first, especially the first 2-3 days but that is expected as the teeth are slowly moving into line.

As for the food, I gave him normal food eg, rice, meat, veg, pasta, even apples, you just have to make sure you cut it into tiny pieces, tho he was chewing very very slowly. Every 6 weeks when he gets them tightened, afterwards he says it feels like someone is pulling his teeth out!

I don't think you need to give him any painkillers as I never but then I suppose every child is different.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Don't know if this is connected but DS had nose bleeds for a few days after. I think on one occasion he had 4 or 5 in one day. I remember speaking to someone about it and they said that the two were related.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Sorry to hear about your DS's nosebleeds KS10.

All three of my DSs have had braces. I also gave them ibuprofen after their braces were fitted and when they were tightened. I used to give them pasta for a couple of days after and that seemed to be fine.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now