Good TV programmes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Belinda

Re: Good TV programmes

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Samlet wrote:Update - Tin Tin now seems very expensive and Noggin about £30 for all the episodes, which isn't bad - hmm tempted :wink:

"In the Lands of the North, where the black rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long, the men of the North Lands sit by their great log fires, and they tell a tale..."

and that lovely music
and Nogbad the Bad in that great way Postgate says the word 'bad'; and Queen Grunhilde propped up on her pile of pillows; and Thor Nogsen; and Graculus...it is totally perfect. We watch it on winter Sunday evenings with the fire roaring and have to ration ourselves or the episodes run out before the winter is over. It is money well spent, I totally promise you.

(Smallfilms, do I get commission? )
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

and Oliver Postgate's lovely voice

I'm weakening :) :)

I read his biography once, really interesting life. They made the films in an outbuilding behind his house in Blean, behind Whitstable. And the Clangers were knitted by Peter Firmin's wife - and Peter Firmin made the puppet of Basil Brush :!:

I am a mine of useless trivia
ahap

Post by ahap »

Horrible Histories, Deadly 60 are quite good, Tracy Beaker and Horrid Henry annoys me with their screaming, shouting and fighting but it is still quite interesting as it has a message at the end. Pokemon, Doctor who, Wolf Blood are my DD's favourite, she is 10.

I grew up watching mostly cartoons such as Road runner, Tom & Jerry, Popoye, Tweedy I think its called, its about a bird which tries to escape from the puddycat. The Muppet show, Walt Disney movies. I occasionally watched Star trek the original series, Doctor who, Batman, Incredible Hulk, Green Hornet.... to name a few.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Samlet wrote:and Oliver Postgate's lovely voice

I'm weakening :) :)

I read his biography once, really interesting life. They made the films in an outbuilding behind his house in Blean, behind Whitstable. And the Clangers were knitted by Peter Firmin's wife - and Peter Firmin made the puppet of Basil Brush :!:

I am a mine of useless trivia
It is so much cleverer than a lot of what they do today - basically jolly good stories with a huge dose of wit for the adults, not patronising to the children either, but not scary or dark or too 'realistic'. The animations must have taken forever to do. One of my favourites was when Nogbad the Bad had mounted another unsuccessful campaign on Noggin and went off with his tail between his legs 'to stay with his Granny in Finland'. Classic.

Go on Samlet, you know you won't regret it. :D
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

:idea: :idea: Have just remembered that I am owed two birthday presents - hoorah

Now to consider whether I will own up to what I want, or just ask for a A***** voucher

One of my favourites was the Ice Dragon whose voice (and slightly self-pitying manner) always reminded me strongly of Prince Charles
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

And it's not just parental nostalgia - Bagpuss et al are officially better for them than contemporary TV shows - link:"Children need Slow TV such as Bagpuss and other Oliver Postgate characters".
Amber

Post by Amber »

Okanagan wrote:And it's not just parental nostalgia - Bagpuss et al are officially better for them than contemporary TV shows - link:"Children need Slow TV such as Bagpuss and other Oliver Postgate characters".
Yes! I knew it! I have been banging on about this for years. Why does everything have to be so 'challenging', 'edgy' and true to life? Bring back the Soup Dragon. Be very handy to have one at the bottom of the garden about this time of day, wouldn't it?

And the Ice Dragon - yes that was a brilliant episode too, Samlet. Loved the unspoken 'well you don't need to wallow in self pity, we will sort it out for you, but man up a bit, there's a good chap' message in that one. Think I might have to dig these out tonight. :D
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Mine enjoyed Horrible Histories, The Legend of Dick and Dom (in fact, anything with Dick and Dom) and whatever that programme is with Sam and Mark. Spongebob, Pokemon and The Simpsons all went down well too. When they were younger they watched Yoho Ahoy which I thought was brilliant - gentle but funny stories presented with only the words 'yoho' and 'ahoy'. We don't/won't have satellite TV, so they've not had the same choice as their peers. They prefer quiz shows, animal programmes and odd choices like Watchdog!

As a child, I loved Bagpuss, Mr. Benn, Ivor the Engine, The Clangers, Andy Pandy, The Herbs and The Tomorrow People. I know of but don't remember Noggin the Nog - I get the distinct impression I've missed out in a big way!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Of the more recent programmes, my boys have liked Horrible Histories, Roman Mysteries, Brainiac, Blast Lab - but their perennial favourite seems to be the Simpsons. Despite my initial reservations, this does actually seem to make my oldest one in particular think about what he's watching and he frequently asks questions based upon what he's seen on it - often on subjects which wouldn't generally be covered by children's TV.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now