independent schools and gifted children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: independent schools and gifted children

Post by hermanmunster »

+1 too - I can remember spellings on first sight - handy for the ever lengthening and bizarre names the pharmaceutical industry thinks up :lol:

However, doesn't mean I can do other things easily - eg am hopeless at foreign languages - can't get brain into gear for those and never could. Maths was a doddle - to a point - couldn't have done it at Uni but had enough for A level .

I wish someone had encouraged me to do more of the stuff I found hard, that didn't just happen (like the languages) and accept the fact that I could do enough maths
daveg

Post by daveg »

Amber wrote: Seriously, I would echo the prevailing thought on this thread and, if you believe your daughter does have remarkable talents, use them to broaden her life experiences rather than doing GCSE algebra at 10. .
(Deleted as too harsh. Quote below might like to note my retraction).
Last edited by daveg on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
celebrate

Post by celebrate »

Lol do i detect a green eyed monster?
She's gifted!!!
And she goes kumon to help develop her talent and by heck it has!
We'll have to agree to disagree I think
If your child has a talent why not nurture it,are you telling me if you found out out she was fantastic at gymnastics because of her build and flexibility you would force her to become a swimmer? What a load of tripe. Who said I'd stopped her doing other stuff for goodness sake. She had the star part in the school play and is on netball/hockey/swimming teams.
We get plenty of theatre sport and outside stuff at private schools and she exels in those as well thanks for your concern regarding her other interests
Thanks for a very warm welcome lol
Amber

Post by Amber »

celebrate wrote:Lol do i detect a green eyed monster?
For myself : categorically, absolutely not. I don't measure the worth of my children by anything they can do. Why would I be jealous of a clever child? Why? No, not me, sorry. Mine will do just fine as they are. :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Amber wrote:
For myself : categorically, absolutely not. I don't measure the worth of my children by anything they can do. Why would I be jealous of a clever child? Why? No, not me, sorry. Mine will do just fine as they are. :D
Seriously, are you a troll? If you knew anything about my kids (who have many, many flaws as well) you'd know I would not be envious in the slightest! Maybe Daveg shouldn't have removed his post! :o

Agree with Amber though. It all means nothing in the end. She'll (probably) get her A'levels, go to uni, get a job, have a fairly average life, maybe have some kids and then kick the bucket. So the best we can do is to let them be happy!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I don't wish to upset you further, celebrate, but how do you know that your daughter is gifted? Some parents confuse being very bright with being gifted and I was wondering how you know which category your DD fits into. Personally, I would find it a nightmare and although I am absolutely certain that neither of my DC is gifted if they were I would rather be blissfully ignorant of the fact.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Goodness no Celebrate! ... we have all met hordes of very bright kids - some have been incredibly unhappy in their academic (and social) lives and struggle to ultimately find a niche - quite often not what their parents would have planned for them at all.!
WFG wrote:Agree with Amber though. It all means nothing in the end. She'll (probably) get her A'levels, go to uni, get a job, have a fairly average life, maybe have some kids, drive herself crackers over their educationand then kick the bucket. So the best we can do is to let them be happy!
WFG - you missed a bit out... I've added it in bold :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

The advice or opinions on here might not always be what you want to hear. They might be right or they might be wrong but I would say they are always worth thinking about :wink:
mad?

Post by mad? »

doodles wrote:The advice or opinions on here might not always be what you want to hear. They might be right or they might be wrong but I would say they are always worth thinking about :wink:
+1
mad?
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

this thread is going nowhere, even bordering on the personal now..