Is being quiet in the classroom such a crime?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Belinda

Re: Is being quiet in the classroom such a crime?

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The thing is school has such a partial picture. Mine would have asked enquiring questions at home about gravity etc from very young indeed. But they wouldn't ask at school because they would think the teacher was too busy to be able to attend to their extra questions. Yes it is good if children are happy and willing to take part in meaningful class discussion. However, children take such different approaches to the "hands-up" to ask or answer a question. Some are happy to put their hand up all day every day in the hopes of being chosen on approx 1 in 30 occasions, others can't be bothered or lose heart after a while after psyching up the courage to do so and then not being picked.

I don't know the answer. Children talking with parents and siblings at home is one thing, talking in front of all the children at school is another thing. As it is important teachers do need to provide the opportunities for this - and not just on a volunteer basis. It's hard for home to provide this kind of experience.

A child I know in a reception class asked why the planets don't just travel onwards in straight lines. The reception teacher didn't think about the gravitational pull of the sun and I think the little boy felt he was thought to be cheeky asking the question. I don't think he asks his interesting questions any more. Future teachers will probably not understand why he doesn't ask great questions.

Teaching is very difficult, so is being a pupil!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Thank you Belinda and I completely agree with you. :)

Mystery - children often are very different at home and may well be reluctant to ask questions in class if they have been put off at a younger age, but what you describe is poor teaching.
Someone asked last week why there were so many different ways of writing the past tense. (We were looking at the tense a piece of writing was in) I could have just said, "Because there are." And got on with the lesson which was not progressing as fast as I would have liked - but actually this was far more interesting and I only missed out a bit of work that will be caught up another time. It is up to the teacher to foster and encourage this sort of discussion - stickers, gold stars, team points - whatever the school uses for rewards for this kind of interaction.
There is a balance of course between being diverted completely and extending understanding and therein lies the skill of a teacher.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Absolutely. So when a parent is told at parents' evening that their child does not contribute much in class, what do you think they should say or do?
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Well I don't usually mean that as in not putting their hand up.

But if I was told this as a parent I would say to my primary child - your teacher tells me you are very knowledgeable and she / he would like you to ask them a few more questions in class. Other children would like to know the answers too.
For my secondary child I would say - why don't you use your teacher's knowledge. I am not an expert in every subject, but your teachers love their subjects. Ask them at school instead of me at home. (This has happened - my knowledge of space is basic!)

And I would say to the teacher - what do you do to encourage this type of discussion? What rewards are there for this type of interaction? How do you foster it? What happens if someone asks something stupid (for want of a better word)? Children in my classes find it is not good to laugh AT others.
ginx

Post by ginx »

My dd has just passed the 11+! (Subject to confirmation of pass mark)

She has been criticised by teachers throughout her entire school life for being too quiet. She never puts up her hand, doubts her own opinion in front of others. I got tired of hearing the same criticism (because it was a criticism), she never puts her hand up, if asked she says the minimum, she is very quiet. She isn't at home!

Yet when she comes to write, she is fine.

She has learned to recognise that although shy, she is confident. We can't all be noisy!

I would have thought teachers would think being quiet is good - although I suppose they need to check your dc understands.

I wouldn't worry. After years of it, I expect to hear it all the time and it just irritates me.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I tend not to have 'hands up' and ask a range of pupils for answers so everyone does contribute. Harder questions are targeted at more able pupils and when I use mini whiteboards everyone responds at once!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes that makes sense, or use the ubiquitous lollipop sticks or a computer for random generation of victims to whom to ask questions. Measuring contribution to class discussion on the basis of "hands up" just doesn't work with some children.