Gifted at maths

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

thanks KentMum

That was really useful! I think he has probably needed extra help for a long time it's just now he's older and see's what he could be doing ie,big sisters year 8 maths he wants a challenge,he constantly says school's boring and easy especially maths and we are worried it might affect his attitude between now and year 7 when hopefully he will go to grammar school ,where he will meet boys of his ability and beyond!

I agree no child should ever get bored but aren't the brighter kids usually the ones that are left so time can be spent on the rest of the class!we don't want him to do early exams or anything like that but just to feel that he has to use his brain occasionally !

what year is your son now?

thanks for the kind words Pensby
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

My son is year 6 now. He's off to MGS in September.
You're absolutely right that, generally speaking, the kids who get the time & attention do tend to be the less able and those with behavioural problems. It's quite right that they should get help- but not fair that the kids at the other end of the spectrum get ignored or very little attention.
Honestly, working as a Teaching Assistant for several years really opened my eyes to what goes on in some schools.

My son is so thrilled to be going to Grammar- and I know it'll be exactly what he needs. Before he changed primary schools, he actually became quite arrogant for a while. He just wasn't being challenged,and was unhappy. He was rather impatient with other kids who just didn't grasp things the way he did. It was so unlike him.
When he changed schools, he was really challenged once more and I have my son back! I was worried that he may have his confidence knocked at being with other bright kids when he'd been used to being so far ahead- but far from it. He loves having kids around him who are on a more equal footing in groups and responded so well. His teachers have said what a lovely boy he is- and that arrogance has gone. Working at an appropriate level has made the world of diference to him.

On the subject of level 6 at this age- my son's teacher was discussing Year 6 SATS with me a while ago. There are 2 grades one the teacher's prediction and the other is the one they achieve in the actual test. I was told that the top mark they can achieve in SATS at this stage is Level 5 (5a being the highest). She said that they were still putting him down as a predicted level 6 in Science- but that he wouldn't officially receive anything higher than a 5. I have no idea why they've 'capped' it like this though.
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's dark and scary in there!!!!
mathsmum

gifted at maths

Post by mathsmum »

Hi My son is gifted at maths and also has asperger's syndrome. we have swapped some of his hours of lsa time for a maths teacher and he loves it. All the other children admire his ability in maths and this gives him much needed self-esteem. Together they are exploring new areas of maths without regard for the curriculum. Both teacher and my son have a lovely time. It was absolutely the right decision for him.

Post by Guest »

Dear Guest55

I'm interested to know the reasoning/research behind the 'don't-accelerate-but-enrich-instead' approach to gifted maths students. Please can you explain?

Thanks

Y
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Something to read if anyone is interested:
'The impact of an accelerated curriculum on gifted and talented students at KS3'

http://www.nagty.ac.uk/research/practit ... brooks.pdf
WP

Post by WP »

Anonymous wrote:I'm interested to know the reasoning/research behind the 'don't-accelerate-but-enrich-instead' approach to gifted maths students. Please can you explain?
One exposition is Making better use of mathematical talent from the Mathematical Association. I'd also recommend any of the books of Anthony Gardiner; they also contain interesting discussions of learning problem solving, formal argument, proof, etc.

Personally, I find the standard curriculum heavily based on recognizing common problem types and applying the corresponding canned methods; students are given no idea of what mathematics is really about. It's the lack of depth, complexity and connections between different areas that makes it boring, not the level. I'd much rather have my son build confidence in using the maths he already knows to solve longer and more challenging problems, and to state a mathematical argument, than to memorize the formula for quadratic equations.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catherine - the first part says the school is wedded to acceleration - so I did not read further as it's higly unlikely that their research will be unbiased!!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Well, this shows that different experts may have different opinions... Not a major discovery really...

Please, Guest55, post a link that contradicts the document for a balance of opinion
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

WP has already posted one above ..
Grumpy etc...

Post by Grumpy etc... »

Kent Mum wrote:My son is year 6 now. He's off to MGS in September.
You're absolutely right that, generally speaking, the kids who get the time & attention do tend to be the less able and those with behavioural problems. It's quite right that they should get help- but not fair that the kids at the other end of the spectrum get ignored or very little attention.
Honestly, working as a Teaching Assistant for several years really opened my eyes to what goes on in some schools.

My son is so thrilled to be going to Grammar- and I know it'll be exactly what he needs. Before he changed primary schools, he actually became quite arrogant for a while. He just wasn't being challenged,and was unhappy. He was rather impatient with other kids who just didn't grasp things the way he did. It was so unlike him.
When he changed schools, he was really challenged once more and I have my son back! I was worried that he may have his confidence knocked at being with other bright kids when he'd been used to being so far ahead- but far from it. He loves having kids around him who are on a more equal footing in groups and responded so well. His teachers have said what a lovely boy he is- and that arrogance has gone. Working at an appropriate level has made the world of diference to him.

On the subject of level 6 at this age- my son's teacher was discussing Year 6 SATS with me a while ago. There are 2 grades one the teacher's prediction and the other is the one they achieve in the actual test. I was told that the top mark they can achieve in SATS at this stage is Level 5 (5a being the highest). She said that they were still putting him down as a predicted level 6 in Science- but that he wouldn't officially receive anything higher than a 5. I have no idea why they've 'capped' it like this though.
PC?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now