Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Belinda

Re: IQ and its role

Post by Belinda »

More like collective narcissism. :D
daveg

Post by daveg »

harrow123 wrote:I dont know much about poet/play writers and if they need higher IQ but if they need then may be shakespear may have higher IQ. But for sure sceintific/numeric achievements need high IQ. Einsteen may be not good at his school but he was good at maths/physics hence he excelled in those subjects.
Yes, being good at maths and physics is a characteristic of people who are good at maths and physics. What of it?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Belinda wrote:More like collective narcissism. :D
But how much street cred is there in a society which seems to take its name from one of the less enjoyable aspects of being a woman? :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'm lost; are you talking about thinking of England Amber?
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:I'm lost; are you talking about thinking of England Amber?
No mystery. Think...Mensa. Oh dear. :roll:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Now I am confused : I thought Mensa was Latin for table :?
UmSusu
JRM

Post by JRM »

I thought Mensa was just good for fun puzzles, but no-one took it particularly seriously? Or maybe they do and I've not realised.

The only time I've come accross IQ testing is when my DS had some Educational Psychologist assessments last year. It measured various attributes of cognitive ability (so I assuemd was similar to CATS which I have never actually come across). Anyway, the assessment ended with the conclusion that no IQ could be given because there was a statistical difference between scores in the different areas. I would have thought that outcome would be similar for most people - we all have different strengths. And if that is the result looking at only 4 attributes, then if there was some broader testing to get a rounded view of 'IQ' then surely that would lead to most people not being able to be labelled with a final 'IQ number'?

I've come round to seeing the merits in some level of selection, but surely that selection should be based on what club/school you are trying to join?
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
mad?

Post by mad? »

JRM wrote:I thought Mensa was just good for fun puzzles, but no-one took it particularly seriously? Or maybe they do and I've not realised.
I have, on occasion, met someone who takes it seriously. Never a good sign IME :wink:
mad?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I remember the advert that used to run at the back of Private Eye: Thick? Join DENSA. Send £5:00 to PO Box etc etc.

I think there are a lot of people who take the MENSA IQ tests because they are free / cheap and they've had some experiences which have made them feel stupid, and they are relieved when they get the results to find that they are not. So maybe it's not all bad?
JRM

Post by JRM »

I quite fancy doing the Mensa test to see how I would do. And I'd get a kick out of it if I could pass. But I don't think I'd ever own up to it in public. But notice that I haven't got round to it in case I wouldn't pass?
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss