x-box or wii? Which is better for a family gift at Christmas

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: x-box or wii? Which is better for a family gift at Chris

Post by scarlett »

Yes, come back Chumba ! ( I'm visualising you doing some zumba :P ) I too have committed the heinous crime of owning an x box ( well, it belongs to the DS's ...I only dust the thing or step over bodies lolloped near it ), 3 DS , and a wii. I wave a newspaper near the children sometimes , so they get a bit of fresh air. :D
ginx

Post by ginx »

So is the general consensus that an x box is better than a wii? For children aged between 15 and 6?

Anyone know anything about Skylanders? My 6 year old trades cards all the time and is desperate for the wii game ... of course should we get an x box I assume there is a game for that, too?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Before the advent of kinect I would have opted for the wii for a six year old but with kinect even my four year old can play and loves kinectimals. I personally love the rafting and my daughter dance central.

None of mine are into skylanders but I'm sure I've seen skylander titles for the 360.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, stroudy dad. I will check there is a skylanders game of some sort that can be used with the x box.

How much is an x box? We'd better start saving ...

Editing to add: any opinions on dsi's for my 6 year old? My older two have gone off theirs, but my 6 year old is not going to want a pink or turqoise one ... and they are ancient ds's.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I too would welcome any thoughts about dsi's the older two have 3ds but never use the 3d switch. But I have no experience of the dsi
penguin

Post by penguin »

I'd recommend revamping the previous DS /3DS /DSis with a good quality hard cover (I bought metallic pink) and stickers

Although we have ipod touches and an iPad in the family - my daughters still like playing with their DSis because of the picture and sound manipulation and the messaging facility. the boy hogs the iPad
ginx

Post by ginx »

Far more interesting than discussing the 11+!

I never thought I would be on this forum discussing whether to buy a ds, a dsi, a wii or an x box for my children for Christmas!

Does a 3ds really harm eyesight?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Gin, my children choose not to use it as they think it's not as good with the 3d on, personally when I tried it I just got a headache.
YourChildrenSuccess

Post by YourChildrenSuccess »

ginx wrote:Far more interesting than discussing the 11+!

I never thought I would be on this forum discussing whether to buy a ds, a dsi, a wii or an x box for my children for Christmas!
Me neither! But glad this forum has a chill out section.

[/quote] Does a 3ds really harm eyesight?[/quote]

I did a bit of research on this before I bought one for last Xmas and Im quite convinced it can harm your DC eyesight. So I have actually asked my DC to disable it and DC doesn't seems to mind - DC says it makes him dizzy anyway.

There is a good article on PCWorld - I suspect if I post the link , it will be deleted but I will try;

And extract from PCW - "the American Optometric Association issued a statement suggesting kids six and under can play Nintendo's 3DS as long as their visual system is developing normally. But 3D TV manufacturer Samsung has cautioned that "children and teenagers may be more susceptible to health issues associated with viewing in 3D and should be closely supervised when viewing these images." And Nintendo itself has warned that "very young children not look at 3D images...because...the muscles for the eyes are not fully formed."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/220722/w ... xpert.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it" - George Bernard Shaw