It is all over - any good books for dc to read?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
neurotic kent mum

It is all over - any good books for dc to read?

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Now it is all over we have nothing to do. Buried in sport again - but the winter nights don't help. Xbox a distraction and the endless rerun of top gear and the simpsons helps. But I feel ds should do something else! And my favoured choice is reading a good book. It doesn't need to be educational - just a good story he can get engrossed in. We have recently done Percy Jackson, Stormbreaker and the rest of the series but have got stuck. Any ideas?

And any ideas for me - now I know longer have to consider a Bond or schofield and sims paper ( ever again :D :D :D ), I think I should also bury myself in a good read.
Bromleymum1

Re: It is all over - any good books for dc to read?

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Hi

Don't forget audio books, my son really enjoys listening to these.

He is reading Wolf Brother at the moment and seems to be really enjoy it. Another recent favourite was Varjak Paw. His favourite authors at the moment are Michael Morepurgo, Dick King-Smith (The Water Horse - but not the film!), Anthony Horowitz, Rohl Dahl and David Walliams.
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

I have to recommend my favourite author... Who happens to be my 11 yo son's favourite author too!

Colin Bateman is a Northern Irish black comedy writer (expect the troubles/politics/strippers dressed as nuns/espionage/journalism) He had written for adults for 20 years when his 10yo son wanted to read one of his books. He had nothing suitable! So he wrote him a book, and has since done a small shelf full of kids books. Expect similar (minus the nuns) but we started with Titanic 2020 (the tale of a boy who was naughty on a school trip and ended up stowaway on a cruise ship. Plague, mayhem and mystery all ensued.) My son loved all the same books as yours, so it could be a winner :D

M
woodstock72

Post by woodstock72 »

My son really enjoys the 'Goosebumps' books and recently discovered the Invisible Fiends series of books. Only recommended if your son likes scary fiction :)
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

For you, I would recommend Eloise by Judy Finnigan, it was great. Well written and captivating, I read it in one weekend, haven't done that in a while even with the kids at home :)
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
neurotic kent mum

Many, many thanks for this. I am going to find these and see what he thinks. He needs to read something other than Percy Jackson on a loop!
neurotic kent mum

Re: It is all over - any good books f goodor dc to read?

Bought Varjak Paw and looking at the rest. All other ideas greatly appreciated - I am not looking at educational development, just a good book which ds will love.
neurotic kent mum

Titanic 2020
only in spanish edition on a kindle! Do you know of any other kids books he has written? I am slightly kindle obsessive as have given away all our books! But we are very ecco friendly as all papers etc delivered electronically. Which is difficult when a glass is broken. No newspaper to wrap it in.
um

Post by um »

A step up from Percy Jackson could be William Nicholson books. Fast paced adventure, yet haunting and thoughtful too.
I loved The Wind Singer trilogy but my ds1 preferred the Seeker Trilogy.
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

neurotic kent mum wrote:Titanic 2020
only in spanish edition on a kindle! Do you know of any other kids books he has written? I am slightly kindle obsessive as have given away all our books! But we are very ecco friendly as all papers etc delivered electronically. Which is difficult when a glass is broken. No newspaper to wrap it in.
:D I miss plastic carrier bags to put muddy clothes in!

Colin Bateman tends to write in series so there are:
    Reservoir Pups, Bring me the Head of Oliver Plunkett, and The Seagulls have Landed
      Titanic 2020 and Titanic 2020 Cannibal City
        The SOS adventure series: Icebreaker, Tusk and Firestorm

Hope some of them are Kindle-able!

M
        11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now