Festive Family Games, what's your favourite?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Re: Festive Family Games, what's your favourite?

Post by stroudydad »

Pass the pigs is just like a dice game really but with two small pigs instead of die. Points are awarded depending on how they land, each position has a name for example 'leaning jowler'. I'll let you discover how they land for a 'makin' bacon'. :-)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We have our rather large extended family over on Boxing Day and I put out those Brain box games on the table For the children mainly ....although the adults seem to enjoy them too. They are themed ( animals , history, King and Queens ) and you are timed looking at the information side, then asked questions to see how much you remember. I'm pretty useless at them ..but that's down to too much wine. :P
doodles

Post by doodles »

We love a game called Frustration. It's quite basic and we bought it when the boys were very young but we still play it and it gets hugely competitive and is seriously frustrating!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

'Caption it' is also good fun.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Charades is our favourite too. We write our own tv/film/book names and put them in a pot to draw out in turn.

We also like Cluedo and Trivial Pursuit (until the arguments start!)and favourite card games are Stop the Bus and Cheat (until the arguments start :lol: )

I always buy a 1000 piece jigsaw to do "together" but which I end up doing on my own. Very theraputic :)
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

My kids still love Monopoly, though I don't usually have the patience ;-)

Ticket To Ride is a good game for up to 5 people and seems to not really matter whether you are an adult or a child. Scrabble is always good. We have a game called Bohnanza, which is a bit tricky at first, but once you start playing it, it makes sense, and again, I think adults and children are fairly equally matched at that - in fact, an only child might be at an advantage amongst adults as there is some bargaining to be done ;-) Blokus is a great game, lovely touchable pieces and anyone can play it.

Card games as well of course - dh taught them 3 card brag when the youngest was about 4, and that has whiled away many hours in a tent in the rain! Uno's straightforward, and we also have a fantastic card game called Set, which is very simple and satisfying.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

We have Set too!! It hurts my brain :oops:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Pass the ring, Pass the Bomb (easier version) and Pit. All very noisy games.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

hunt the gin

:wink:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Searching for the 'like' button again :D