Something quite sad

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Something quite sad

Post by Tinkers »

It is my DDs last night at Brownies tonight, she should have left last July, but since she wasn't going to go to guides they let her stay an extra term.

Thats not the really sad bit though.

The Brownies have a Pack Holiday every year in May, my DD has loved them and I think she has got so much out of them.

While I was talking to Tawny Owl, another Brownie came up to her and said she wouldn't be able to go to Pack Holiday next year. She said "I'm having to have tutoring because I'm taking the 11+ exam"

The exam is 4 months after Pack holiday.

Tawny Owl knows my DD will get a place at GS so asked my opinion since I was there, she thought it was really sad too.

:(
hermanmunster

Re: Something quite sad

Post by hermanmunster »

That is crazy - kid will get far more out of pack holiday than the tutoring sessions during that half term! Everyone needs a break...
ginx

Post by ginx »

Unbelievable. What kind of parent would stop their dd going to have some fun for a few days for the sake of tutoring four months before the 11+?

Not only am I glad we didn't have it, but I'm so glad the whole thing is over ... well, apart from waiting for allocation day ... we're not 100% sure dd has a place yet ...

Poor child.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

With very short notice, DD was invited to take part in WHSB's "preparation for 11+" course. It involved a Saturday and a number of sessions on a night of the week which was difficult for us to organise, but furthermore, the Saturday was during a weekend when DD was booked to go away with Scouts. Children signed up for the course were not permitted to miss any of the sessions.

Other DC I have known have been made to give up extracurricular activities which they enjoyed, for a considerable period in advance of the 11+. They didn't pass :(

DD (with our blessing) decided to honour her commitment to the Scout activity. In time, she failed the 11+, but there is no guarantee that missing the Scout camp to go to WHSB would have made any difference. She also continued with swimming / diving / Rookie Lifeguard and all her other activities. So she may now only be (in the top stream) at a comp, but one day she may save your life :)
Last edited by ToadMum on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Toadmum, I think you made the right choice.

My DD didn't give up anything. I tutored my DD for about 30 mins a week over about a year. She still went to Brownies, dancing and riding every week. Its about getting the balance right. As adults we are encouraged to get the work-life balance right, we should be helping our children learn the same thing.

Not sure how the parents or the DD are going to feel if after this she doesn't get in. tawny Owl was also concerned about how she would cope if she did get in, if she really needed tutoring so much she couldn't even go to Brownie holiday.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Ditto

We didn't give up anything here for the 11+. DD did give up Brownies but it was just 'time' for that. Giving up an activity and then still not passing would be really sad.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

It's amazing how much new vocabulary is picked up by doing extra curricular activities. The word 'terrain' came up in my DD actual VR test. When I asked if she knew what it was she said, " Of course, I had to paint various terrains at war hammer club last week."

3 weeks before her 11 plus, DD also had the chance to sing at The Royal Albert Hall with school. I was amazed how many children were not permitted to go because it was too close to the 11plus. They missed a fabulous day and a wonderful opportunity. DD had to sing a song, 'I'll be your refuge'. Again 'refuge' was a word that came up in her actual VR test. These 2 questions out of 80 could have been the difference between a place at GS for some children. I would grasp every extra curricular opportunity as so much learning takes place without the DC actually realising, just like reading widely broadens the mind.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

I would have thought missing Brownies camp would do more harm than good, and very de motivational.
Is it expensive? Maybe funds were needed for tutor.
Or maybe tutor is inflexible and would frown on an 'un-commited' child.

I would have used it as a treat/reward for (and break from) hard work, not as effectively a punishment for being bright.

We probably did less generally with DD (and as a family) due to studying, but she did not miss out on any events or activities with her friends.
Only exception was that we tried to take sensible precautions near to test day, so no sleepovers (or notgotosleepovers as they should be called!) or tree climbing etc.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

It's the extra curricular (and fun) activities that teaches a child SO much more about life than any 11+ exam ever could....