Disillusioned.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Blitz

Re: Disillusioned.

Post by Blitz »

I would love to do VSO. Would DC university years be the best time to do it? What are the rules about parents living overseas, but working for a charity? Our income would be zero in UK and minimal overseas.

However, what if a crisis happens with DC? Being on the other side of the world would not be good :? . This is a good few years off for us, DD has just gone into Yr 7!

An interesting topic.
um

Post by um »

I am returning after a short absence due to illness :( just to firstly, wish all fellow disillusioned parents a very happy and prosperous 2013 :D and secondly, to explain that I was being rather sarcastic/tongue in cheek in my last post.
Just wanted to point out the unfairness of the system :?

DH will certainly not be voluntarily leaving his job - he loves it far too much :roll: and I understand that our dear leaders are very keen to cut benefits for feckless families such as ours with 5 children, so we'd need him to work in order to eat!

If you look at it as a family debt, then it is absolutely extortionate. The army sponsorship route may be one to try, as I'm assuming that as we're now too broke for any further overseas wars, my dcs may just get a nice little barracks posting in Germany or Hong Kong...
ginx

Post by ginx »

Happy New Year, Um.

You might win the lottery this year? Don't start me on benefits; let me think of the words child benefit and four children and my blood pressure goes up ...

Happy new year.
um

Post by um »

Thank you for raising my blood pressure ginx :roll:

The reminder of the fact that the government is from this month going to recoup all our child benefit was not one that I needed...that is an extra £295 per month which they will deduct from dh salary. Big salary drop if you think about it.

I had thought that Child Benefit was originally an acknowledgement that, through all the extra spending associated with children, you do pay much more tax (through VAT), therefore receive this benefit in a sort of trade-off.

I have been encouraging him to get a job abroad... :twisted: He is now effectively on a 50%+ tax rate yet when I'm out and about with my 5 children people assume that I am a feckless (doesn't the Daily Mail just love that word) asylum seeker churning out kids for handouts :roll:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

We thankfully shall not be losing the CB. But why anyone should have to is unbelievable.. I beleive it would be fair to cap it at a certain rate but certainly not stop it depending on the earnings of a single adult... Politics... Grrrr
ginx

Post by ginx »

My dh is going to try and keep the child benefit by taking a salary cut. He is waiting to hear from his employers whether they will put the remainder into a pension fund. We don't even have a pension. I don't work. I want a job but will never realistically earn much. I'd like a nice part time admin job, few half days, very little responsibility, term time only. Such jobs are in schools and like gold dust.

Um, we have four children and £242 is a lot to lose, too. I've never applied for disability living allowance for my diabetic daughter. Most parents of diabetic children do, perhaps I should. I have missed a few mornings invigilating (where I earn all of say fifteen pounds a morning) over two years.

So, how do we ever afford university fees?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now