Is the 11plus a test of future potential?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you should be able to get descriptions of each level on QCA website.

I can't find teh exact link at the mo, but this may help

http://www.kirklees-ednet.org.uk/subjec ... ssment.htm

you could navigate from there to find literacy levels.

It is the BEST FIT which decodecs teh level. for example a child may have one or two of the skills in 5c, but this would not necessarily mean a level 5 if 4a was a better overall description ogf teh general ability.

It is very difficult in practice to do teacher assessment as the despcriptions are quite "wooly" Most schools would moderate the QCA tests (ie the ones taken in y3, 4, 5) to make sure that everyone was awarding teh same.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi Capers,

Thanks for the swift reply. I do believe my daughter is underachieving but I don't know how to put this right.

Since I wrote this I have seen other posts mentioning that children are of 'average' ability yet their VR and NVR scores are high.

I would still like to get my hands on a marking scheme so that I can mark my daughter's work myself.

Tracy :)
lorry

Post by lorry »

Hi - I have a daughter who has just passed the 11+. She was doing great in year 4 but the results of her mock SATS in year 5 were not particularly good - she had in fact stood still if not gone backwards. Particularly the maths was poor. I asked on 3 seperate occasions would it be best if I got her some help for her maths and was told each time "no - she was where she should be". Before taking the 11+ I had her assessed to see if she was the right material. I knew her English was very good but thought maybe her maths would let her down. Her assessment can back as strongly positive due to her good reading age. The tutor could not understand why her maths was so poor when she was quite obviously bright and capable of learning. Apparently this was quite common in our area and was put down to the level of teaching. I would not say she was tutored heavily but after downloading some practice sheets from the internet I realised that I could not work out some of the questions. We tend to argue when I try to teach her so thought if I could get someone to at least explain the technique - this would help. Obviously it did. I honestly believe that if the ability is there - it can be measured by the 11+. I knew I had a bright child - not exceptional - but I felt she was not being given the chance to shine in her school. She is a quiet child and sometimes finds it hard to query things when she does not understand. I am so very proud of her. I think even taking the exam takes guts and determination. Pass or fail - I would have been so very proud of her for stepping up to the mark and giving it her best.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi Lorry and Yoyo, thanks for the feedback. I'm feeling more positive now.
:D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KS2 Maths papers on:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm

Have a look at a few together - marking scheme on the older ones [which I suggest you stick to as the newer ones may be used for practice by the school].

Also some level stuff:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/nclevels.htm
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I LIKE the emaths!

Thanks guest55, very useful!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My pleasure!

Lots of good stufff also on:

http://www.kangaroomaths.com/free_resou ... ks4.htm#mg

for when they're in KS4!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I've found that one!!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Thanks everyone for all the tips and websites.

Re maths: I have confirmed that my daughter is working at a comfortable 3c and pushing a 3b. What is also interesting is that she can do quite a few tasks from the level 4 range. I have been cautious and ignored levelling these items at present. I have concentrated on the weaker areas only. Surely a child must be able to do all/most tasks at any given level before being promoted to the next one?

Literacy: I can't seem to find any links to KS2 which is in bullet point format. I think she's is 3b going on 3a. Any ideas as to where to find this info?

From the info I have already seen, I have asked the Head to step in and assess my daughter.

Thanks again.

:D :D :D