Is there anything on here about key stage one?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Is there anything on here about key stage one?

Post by mystery »

Why does he like you reading and not story tapes? What do you mean by him reading school books? Can't he read more of them? Would he like story tapes if he could do something else at the same time e.g. Build Lego?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Also meant to say that it might be that his reading needs to improve for him then to be able to read for fun, not vice versa.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Ginx, my DS is year 2, a totally different kettle of fish than DD. Long story, not going to bore but am just glad he is here safe and well, was born very prem, he's my baby boy, always shall be. He struggles a little academically, but has the most amazing personality, is outgoing and his little quirks make me love him more each day.

DS shines in many ways, but is a lazy old thing when it comes to reading and writing, maybe I don't push him enough, but tbh he said to me the other day, how he always tries his best at school and the teachers agree he does. That is all that counts for me.

He's the sort that would benefit more from climbing trees than reading a book :shock: As i say i have two very different children with very different needs and personalities.
He also at 6, makes a great cup of tea :lol: (health and safety is observed throughout)
Last edited by countrymum on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, mystery, I didn't make myself clear (again!) He likes me reading to him but won't sit and listen to story tapes, with or without lego/favourite toys. He will just talk over them, telling me he doesn't like them. I don't know why. He can read his school books to me, no problem, and he gets as many as he can read. I just feel frustrated that he won't read to himself, he is well able to read many books, his reading age is, I think, above average. It's definitely not below average.

He does need to read for fun, but his idea of fun is to be on the go, then when he goes to bed he goes straight to sleep because he is so tired. You're so right - he needs to read for fun. I want him to read to himself, his teacher is surprised he doesn't.

Countrymum, your message is lovely. It's funny how different dc are. Your ds sounds lovely. I have a dd1 who is "quirky". She just is, and now she's 13 she is a character, and one of the kindest people I know which I find quite humbling at times. If your ds tries his best at school - that's lovely - what more can anyone ask than that dc try their best. If he can make a cup of tea, well, that's fantastic and far more important than being on the top reading level! I bet he benefits from being with his lovely countrymum, in your big country kitchen, with its aga ... I won't go on.

I suppose they're all different and all learn at different paces.
um

Post by um »

I do agree regarding Just William.
I absolutely hate Horrid Henry, for a number of reasons, including its insipid, poor vocabulary and language. Whenever I hear that a child has been reading it, I give them Just William to read, and they've all enjoyed it :D .

Regarding KS1 SATs, my older three all went through these, and in each case, happily, the school did not mention a thing, they didn't realise they were taking them, and everything was fine.

The results are used to 'plot' which level a child should be at the end of KS2 (so if a child receives a level 2 in KS1 SATs, they should get 4 at KS2 - if they receive a 3 at KS1 they should get 5 at KS2 as 2 levels progress are required) but I would hope that any good teacher would be aiming to allow the children to work at their pace and achieve their very best regardless of KS1 levelling, which can be rather presumptuous at such a young age.

Yes, continue a rich program of learning and educational activity at home, but please don't 'prep' a 6 year old for tests....there'll be plenty of time to do that in later years :wink:

Regarding reading, I have three types of older children. One, wonderful one, who just reads and reads because he loves to, one who reads because I threaten to take his phone away if he doesn't, but admittedly sometimes gets into a 'series' and one who reads in order to earn more new earrings. Whatever floats their boat 8)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mine all went off Horrid Henry when I pointed out that that Henry's actions in the "hilarious" storyline where he changed his brother's homework to something libellous or malicious about his teacher would, in the real world, probably constitute a criminal offence (as well as being just a really nasty thing to do)...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ginx

Post by ginx »

ToadMum, I agree regarding Horrid Henry, but ds2 likes watching him on Citv. That's all he watches.

Didn't try The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe last night ... dd2 has lent it to a friend. Going to buy Just William. It does sound good. I just think it may be too old for him, but I don't know.

Nice to hear about other people's sons who are the same age. :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

OK, say it's an issue of reading to you versus reading quietly to himself. I've been through this and I wouldn't worry. It's not a case of not reading for pleasure, because, from what you say, he enjoys reading to you.

Again, I don't really know what his reading standard is ... quite often as a parent you expect them to read harder books to themselves than might actually be appropriate. They are likely to want to read something very easy and fun to themselves when they first launch into reading on their own. Also, once they read on their own there is some dangerous territory - I am crossing through this now with my DD2 who has read pretty much on her own since the end of reception. You don't know how many words they are just glossing over or getting wrong when they read to themselves. My DD1 who didn't voluntarily read on her own until Easter of year 3 is a much more accurate reader.

However, I understand the issue as it leaves you with this feeling that .... will post more in a minute, got to go.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

maybe a good time to mention he is 6?

I have a girl, 4 years older than my boy...the difference was amazing.

I was so smug when she was born, convinced that it was just the way you brought them up. We were just not prepared for the physical whirlwind that hit our house! HIs first word was NO..

He couldn't be bothered with anything that required effort, he hit, kicked and generally destroyed everything in his path. He has the most amazing, subtle sense of humour and appreciation of puns/word play ever. He is funny, clever and I love him to bits.

He is now in his second year at uni studying philosophy.. ( basically arguing the toss)

We are all different, we all have strengths and weaknesses - but they make us what we are

PS
My very correct, hard working , literal daughter is also wonderful and I wouldn't have her any different than she is!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Two words- Mr Gum.