Anybody else got snow this morning?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Okanagan

Anybody else got snow this morning?

Post by Okanagan »

We had about 2cm of snow here overnight. Both my boys got up, saw the snow, and promptly went back to bed! :lol: As they told me school is always closed when there's snow. Only it isn't today! ds2 in particular was not amused that he had to go to school instead of sledging. Not that there's enough snow for that yet anyway - but it is still snowing, so maybe tomorrow.

As ds2's teacher has been off since the start of November meaning that he's been getting a changing variety of supply teachers I'm not really convinced that a day of snow play would be that detrimental in the circumstances. Especially as they seem to have a defecit of PE - his PE kit clearly didn't ever get taken out of his kit bag all last half term!! Is PE a subject which primary supply teachers are not allowed to take for some reason?
SleepyHead

Re: Anybody else got snow this morning?

Post by SleepyHead »

not enough to skip school - much to DD's dismay; just a slight covering on the car and barely a very thin cover on the ground. Very disappointed - was looking forward to a day of snowmen and snowangels.
toucan

Post by toucan »

1cm at most. School open, but no gritting on paths.

DCsx2 got to pre-school running club, only to find they were the only two who turned up. The poor PE teacher was reluctant to do it for just two children, but they were not going to take 'no' for an answer. DC1 pointed out that if they had wet play today, it would be only physical activity they would get all day. That way lies madness.

I keep an 'evidence file' on missed PE sessions (along with soapless toilets), and ask the Deputy Head for an explanation on each occasion.

Toucan
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

enough for a cotton wool top on all the pots in the garden and the car, with a white lawn but all the pavements and roads are clear.
DD's school almost never closes - 2 years ago we yomped through the snow to get there as we couldn't get the car out and the teachers outnumbered the pupils with less than 20 of each. They had set up a hot choc station for parents and kids to defrost at and threw away the normal timetable in favour of a day related to snow experiments.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

toucan wrote:I keep an 'evidence file' on missed PE sessions (along with soapless toilets), and ask the Deputy Head for an explanation on each occasion.
ds2's ability to describe what he's done at school each day often being on the level of "we had spaghetti for lunch" (when I'm sure he has actually done other things too) I'd struggle to know on a session by session basis. But kit which comes home clean and still folded after a whole half term is a bit of a give away - I might not know exactly what he's doing all day, but I'm pretty sure they're not teaching a 5 year old boy washing and ironing!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We have a light dusting here in Harrogate, not enough to cover the roads though, they're still running freely - although it's now snowing again though, so who knows.

I suspect Herman over the hill from me is inundated with the stuff though :D
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

The snow is getting heavier! :D And by the look of the sky lots more to come :D :D :D
I really should be doing some work, not sitting here looking out of the window at the snow! Why do I have the urge to rush out and make snowballs today, when I've just spent nearly 3 weeks in the Alps, surrounded by snow, and never felt compelled to do it there?
ahap

Post by ahap »

We still have't had any snow in Essex. Supposed to snow very heavily this afternoon. Looking forward to it. I like watching it too, but not walking on it when it all becomes icy the next day even with grippers. I heard that its going to snow for a whole week, is that right?
Last edited by ahap on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Here in Cheshire there was a very light dusting on the cars this morning but now it is raining. We are all very disappointed here! :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Snowdrops wrote:We have a light dusting here in Harrogate, not enough to cover the roads though, they're still running freely - although it's now snowing again though, so who knows.

I suspect Herman over the hill from me is inundated with the stuff though :D
too right!!!! ecky thump even at low levels it is skiddy skiddy snowball time!!!
YAY!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now