Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:30 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 6683
Location: Herts
What do people think of the use of the word "mortified" from Oscar about shooting his girlfriend. I think it is a really odd word to use. It means ashamed or embarassed. Surely you would want to use a much stronger word such as "devastated" or "consumed with remorse" or "engulfed in despair". Mortified is a word I would use about doing something silly like forgetting my purse, not killing someone. Perhaps it has a different meaning in South Africa? DG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:50 pm
Posts: 533
Doesn't it come from the Latin word to cause death? Although I would be surprised if that was what he was thinking when he used it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5921
The media coverage of this case is getting right up my nose. The Times headlined with 'The Anguish of Oscar' and an elucidation of how every time the word 'murder' was mentioned he put his head in his hands...overlooking both the possibly more acute anguish of Ms Steenkamp's family and the fact that for whatever reason he had blasted her with a shotgun four times. I only hope that the reclassification of perpetrator to victim on the basis that the man is a popular Paralympic athlete will not lead to a perversion of justice. :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 4599
Mortified was bugging me too. The whole thing is turning into a bit of a circus...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8112
mortified is a reasonable term - may also mean slightly different things in SA "English" - they were struggling with this anyway as comments were made about the prosecuting detective's level of English (before he was accused of attempted murder himself) - after all this is a country with 11 official languages.

Whole thing is an insight into a different legal system - no jury and open early debates about bail ... in the UK the police would have stated that bail was not appropriate and that would have been that.

Nike beware - choose your athletes more carefully :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:14 am
Posts: 938
Amber wrote:
The media coverage of this case is getting right up my nose. The Times headlined with 'The Anguish of Oscar' and an elucidation of how every time the word 'murder' was mentioned he put his head in his hands...overlooking both the possibly more acute anguish of Ms Steenkamp's family and the fact that for whatever reason he had blasted her with a shotgun four times. I only hope that the reclassification of perpetrator to victim on the basis that the man is a popular Paralympic athlete will not lead to a perversion of justice. :evil:


I completely agree, Amber!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:38 pm
Posts: 30
It's difficult to make a reasoned opinion without knowing all the facts of the case. Innocent till proven guilty?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 6962
Location: East Kent
rubidium wrote:
It's difficult to make a reasoned opinion without knowing all the facts of the case. Innocent till proven guilty?


my thoughts exactly...I wonder how this would have been reported if it hadn't been "him"
I feel so sorry for both families, the celebrity culture has masked the severity of the facts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5921
yoyo123 wrote:
my thoughts exactly...I wonder how this would have been reported if it hadn't been "him"
It probably wouldn't have been.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Mortified"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 1440
hermanmunster wrote:
Whole thing is an insight into a different legal system - no jury and open early debates about bail ... in the UK the police would have stated that bail was not appropriate and that would have been that.


We have been saying the same thing Herman. Completely different system form here.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016