PC technical heeeeelp please, before I drown!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

PC technical heeeeelp please, before I drown!

Post by Sally-Anne »

A couple of weeks ago someone emailed me from an iPad and I sat and watched in horror as the message arrived 95 times. Last week someone else emailed me from a PC and the email downloaded 371 times! :shock:

Why? I've Googled to no avail - all the links are for people receiving ther mail a mere four times or so. (Lightweights! :lol: )

Can anyone help before I drown in an ocean of emails one day?

It has never happened before, nothing on my PC has particularly changed, same machine and software I've had for a couple of years, etc, etc. I am using Outlook 2010 and Gmail, if that helps anyone? PM me if you prefer.
Okanagan

Re: PC technical heeeeelp please, before I drown!

Post by Okanagan »

Do you know how to see the full email headers? From that I could tell if it was the same message received many times, or whether it had actually been sent many times. PM me if you still need help. Depending upon what email software you use I might well be able to help with how to see the headers too.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thanks, Okanagan. I will PM you. :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Have you got IMAP or POP as your incoming server? Maybe try POP if you have IMAP. Something vaguely like this once happened here and doing that fixed it.

PS: get a Mac, they are so much better. :wink:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I think it is POP, Amber. :(

Can't cope with Macs - never have been able to! Texting is in the same category, as are DVD players, digital cameras, etc.

I do a nice line in PC tech normally, and have done for many years. It is very rare for something like this to completely defeat me! :oops:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Macs just work though SA - plug it in and off you go, no fans, no half an hour to boot up, not need for anti virus software. But OK, I give in. Even my tecchie 11 year old doesn't know.

Txt u l8er lol.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Amber wrote:Txt u l8er lol.
Might pick that up in 6 months time. Nothing personal, just the usual service! :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Being sporadic I'm not sure if this will help
Sudden new problems are so frustrating.

I'm currently doing battle with my 85 year old father's email where he seems to be receiving all my mothers email too. I think I may have worked it out but it has been an incredible logic problem and I still need proof that I've worked it out.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

I love the idea that your 85 year old father can do email, and love even more the fact he wants it kept separate from your mum's. :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm really not sure it's worth the hassle, Amber. They have an iPad which they can't remember how to use - closing down apps etc and I tell them the same thing every week. My father thinks the answer to everything is to press the home button which is very frustrating when you are trying to show him something. :twisted:
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now