World book day costume - help!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: World book day costume - help!

Post by doodles »

I am going to go to the s'market and buy a Peach, a Pear and a Plum and that's me done!
(Each Peach Pear Plum for those of you who've left the U5's behind!)
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

:lol:

Why didn't I think of that?
saram

Post by saram »

In year three, my younger DS decided he wanted to go as Captain Underpants. M&S, supermarkets etc no longer sell old fashioned white y - fronts - I ended up having a very odd conversation with an elderly gentleman on a market stall about the correct size to buy.
JRM

Post by JRM »

That has given me an idea - 'Don't put your pants on your head, Fred'.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
JRM

Post by JRM »

Okanagan wrote:I'd get three goat masks (they sell various animal masks at out local farm park), dress them in goat coloured clothes (anything vaguely brownish!) and send them as the 3 Billy Goats Gruff. I don't do costumes which take ages to put together!

DS2 this year is going to be the Gingerbread Man - brown trouser, brown jumper, brown face paint. Sorted.
DS is in Reception and this will already be his third dress up day. He was a billy goat Gruff for the first - Nursery Rhyme Day (Brown trousers, brown jumper and a sewn on tail plus ears/horns on a hairband). For the second (chinese New Year) he was a rat as he was born in the year of the rat (same brown trousers, top with a slightly different tail and rat ears on the same hairband. We also had an egg box nose with pipe cleaner whiskers - wooo). tonight his favourite book is Julia Donaldson's 'Stick Man' so I think we just dig out the very same brown trousers and top and make him a head band with a few leaves sticking to it.

Do you think his teacher will think he only owns one set of clothes :lol:
Dr Seuss
JRM

Post by JRM »

P.S. 2 days after they all had Chinese dress up day, DD also had Medieval dress up day. This was all just the week before half term and we have only been back for a week. I usually don't mind, but this is starting to get a bit ridiculous.
Dr Seuss
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DD's secondary school dress up for charity non-uniform days with the year 11's choosing the theme. The last one we had was "something/someone beginning with V"! hence the Violet Baudelaire costume. I think there were a lot of Vikings and Victorians, although one of our friends just carried her violin around all day.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Cruela de Vil? Black and white hair?

Hermione Granger?
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

The Man Who Wore All His Clothes.
The Smartest Giant in Town
Pied Piper of Hamlin (Robin Hood hat, recorder & 'sock' rats)
Have also done Cat In The Hat, A Wolf over the years :roll:

Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games (Camo gear borrowed from brother and Robin Hood bow, make a mocking jay brooch) (one for the girls)

Any historical costume you have lying around can usually fit some book! I have an Egyptian costume and a Viking costume that have seen several outings with all 3 DC.

My enthusiasm for home made costumes has dwindled along the years so I always go for 'easy' options.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Aaargh! With 2 days to go, ds1 casually told me this morning that not only does it have to be a book character, this year it also has to be "something which stands out in a crowd". There goes my anonymous looking brown gingerbread man and the planned "The Man with the Golden Gun" (black suit, bow tie, spray painted plastic water pistol) - aka the same suit which with different accessories has also been Hercule Poirot (hat, cane and moustache) and Lord Peter Whimsey (monocle) - for ds1 this year. It also means I can't recycle last year's Where's Wally which is the very definition of NOT standing out in a crowd, and wipes out just about anything else which uses vaguely normal clothes. Back to the drawing board - and not much time left.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now