Homwework - Summer Break

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KEFW Parent

Homwework - Summer Break

Post by KEFW Parent »

My son will be starting KEFW this sept, and at his induction day, the new year 7's were been given summer projects. I think this is a wonderful idea, ensuring the grey matter is ticking over ready for the new challenges in the new year.

Do all KEGS set homework for the summer?

Post by Guest »

Personally, I think it is the most appalling idea. I want my children to spend the summer holidays doing what they and I want. I can create a stimulating environment for them myself and the school has all the rest of the year to set homework. Please leave them alone over the holidays! There are years enough ahead of GCSE coursework.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

GCSE cousework won't exist in its current form for these pupils!!(new Y11 are the last doing Maths coursework and other subjects change for the current Y7s)

However I do agree that Y6s need a good rest -
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Hey, is this another one of those provoking replies where you expect a response that starys from the original point that has been posted. The post was asking if anyone else were in the same situation, NOT asking what your personal opinion on the matter was, and what the rights and wrongs were.

Please try to keep to the point - if you want provocation, start your now post and get people to respond, else stay away!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Kathy

I don't know how long you have been around the Forum but I would like to point out a couple of things.

Firstly, as the post relates to specific schools it would have been better posted under the relevant area section. There it would have been more likely to attract informed local opinion rather than becoming a matter for general debate, which is the main purpose of the "Everything Else" section of the Forum.

Secondly, if you look around the Forum you will find some extremely informative threads that sprang from a seemingly innocuous post that then sparked a lively debate.

Thirdly, if someone posts an opinion they have to be prepared for others to disagree with it!

If a thread goes seriously off-topic the Moderators will intervene, or create a new thread for the second issue being debated if it is justified.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Guest55 wrote:
However I do agree that Y6s need a good rest -
I disagree.My y6 has done no work since the sats and before them mainly sats revision since jan.he will find it very hard when he starts y7 not having had to do any real work for almost a year. jmo
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Perhaps you should have asked why they weren't doing Transition projects that many LAs do - these prepare for Secondary and the work is transferred and carried on at the new school.

My experience, as a Secondary teacher, is the new pupils get exhausted from the physical moving around so lots of fitness training is probably the best you can do! :lol:

Post by Guest »

Guest55 wrote:Perhaps you should have asked why they weren't doing Transition projects that many LAs do - these prepare for Secondary and the work is transferred and carried on at the new school.

My experience, as a Secondary teacher, is the new pupils get exhausted from the physical moving around so lots of fitness training is probably the best you can do! :lol:
lol.good idea!
I hadn't heard of transition projects,what are they?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They vary - in London all schools do the London challenge - in other parts of the country it might be anything.
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Sally-Anne, I don't have issues with opinions, its the tone that in which they are written in. My repy wasn't offensive or provocative, so please don't correct me !