What's your favourite book?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Okanagan

Re: What's your favourite book?

Post by Okanagan »

Daogroupie wrote:I couldn't work out how to see the Top Hundred, anyone worked it out?
The full 100 is here - scroll down about 1/3 of the page.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Rather intrigued by the person commenting, citing Pride and Prejudice as an example of a book that 'lefty schools' would force one to read...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Is that 'rude' book on the list? I jumped on the bandwagon with that one, but just didn't float my boat and binned it about half way through :shock:

Ha ha just realised is teachers favourite books, would doubt very much that 'rude' one would be on there!! :lol:
ginx

Post by ginx »

I loved the Woman in White and Dickens last unfinished book, The Mystery of Edwin Drood. It's great.

I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice but having studied Jane Austen's books through A level/degree, they are all quite similar.

I suppose - are Charles Dickens' books all quite similar?

Anybody like Thomas Hardy or George Eliot? I enjoyed Silas Marner and Middlemarch. Thomas Hardy a bit depressing.

I quite like chicklit as well, far from intellectual, shallow, enjoyable. I'm probably the only member who does!
moved

Post by moved »

After You'd Gone, Maggie O'Farrell
Jude The Obscure, Hardy
The Rainbow, Lawrence
Wuthering Heights, Bronte
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

ginx wrote:I loved the Woman in White and Dickens last unfinished book, The Mystery of Edwin Drood. It's great.

I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice but having studied Jane Austen's books through A level/degree, they are all quite similar.

I suppose - are Charles Dickens' books all quite similar?

Anybody like Thomas Hardy or George Eliot? I enjoyed Silas Marner and Middlemarch. Thomas Hardy a bit depressing.

I quite like chicklit as well, far from intellectual, shallow, enjoyable. I'm probably the only member who does!
The majority of books I read will never appear on a list like this - distinct lack of vampires, demons, witches and medieval kilt wearing alpha males :D I am so low-brow.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I thought Wuthering Heights was brilliant.

Films don't do the book justice. Ditto Frankenstein.
doodles

Post by doodles »

ginx wrote:I suppose - are Charles Dickens' books all quite similar?

I love Hardy and Elliot and Lawrence too, don't really find Hardy depressing, and I'll hold my hands up to a bit of chick lit every now and then :oops: but I don't "do" thrillers at all - they just don't float my boat!
Waitingmum1

Post by Waitingmum1 »

My Favourite 3 books:

"A Thousand Splendid Suns " by Khaled Hosseini (author of "The Kite Runner").
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson (and the other books in the Millennium series trilogy).
"Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Ha ha just realised is teachers favourite books, would doubt very much that 'rude' one would be on there!! :lol:
I know a head of English (and now an assistant head) who couldn't put the 'rude' book down.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now