What's your favourite book?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reading Mum

Re: What's your favourite book?

Post by Reading Mum »

Jane Eyre is my fave classic.

Bryant and May are fun.

Diana Gabaldon's Cross Stitch series has been read many times.

Fantasy would be Nalini Singh, JR Ward, Lara Adrian, Anne McCaffrey

Terry Pratchett is a genius.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Lots of ideas for me here, I haven't heard of all these books/writers. Where have I been? I will have to get off here and read more.

I suspect I'm rather ignorant. I've never heard of Bryant and May. And I'm ashamed to say I've never read any Terry Pratchett. I could do with joining a book club. I have of course read Summer at St Clare's!!!

Dh suggests I spend too much time on here and could be reading now. He has a point. I don't watch much tv though. Friends discuss what was on last night etc and I rarely know what they're talking about.

Has anyone read Call the Midwife - is it as good as the tv series? That's probably my kind of book.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Have just finished a book about starting a new life in Italy and I must say it sounds very appealing and am now off to read The Diary of a Nobody for the nth time .....does anybody else's reread books an embarrassing number of times?
Waitingmum1

Post by Waitingmum1 »

The Call the Midwife books are definately worth a read - preferred them to the series which jumped around quite a bit between the books.

You might also like to give Diane Chamberlain a try.

A book that I'd read at a book club - and wouldn't have picked up otherwise - is worth a read:

Like Bees to Honey - Caroline Smailes - unusual writing style but hooked once I got into it
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, waitingmum1.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

although insightful, Austen becomes very predictable after a few books)
She only wrote 6! And the two published posthumously were quite different in tone. Of the 4 more famous books, Elizabeth Bennet and Fanny Price are quite different in character…

Has anyone tried Marina Lewycka?

Kate Mosse is good too (though I gave up on the soapy adaptation of Labyrinth on TV over Easter)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mooching around Chelmsford Library with DD and DS2 this afternoon (found a "Bryant and May" I haven't read before :) ), my eye was caught by the Foreign Language shelf in the Children's section, specifically a book with a "Dutch" label on its spine. Some years ago I took Nederlands als Vreemde Taal ("Dutch as a Foreign Language") exams, and I used to enjoy the Jip en Janneke stories that one of our tutors used. Yes, I know - little things, etc, but the "silhouette" illustrations are sooo cute :)

However, whether or not I would have enjoyed reading this particular little book, I shall never know - at least, not until I have acquired proficiency in what I think was probably Latvian :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

This forum has definitely inspired me to go and mooch around our local library again. I haven't been for ages ( summer?).
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

just started reading Ken Follett, where has he been all my life! Pillars of earth etc..
Amber

Post by Amber »

A friend recently took me to see the Spanish author Javier Marias speaking; he was very compelling. He (friend not Snr Marias) also bought me his (Marias' not friend's- why did I start this?) book 'A Heart So White' which I'm really enjoying. I rarely read for pleasure these days as I have so much other reading to do, so it's taking me forever, but it's jolly damn good and off the beaten track a bit too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now