Feeling Emotional

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Waitingmum1

Re: Feeling Emotional

Post by Waitingmum1 »

My youngest DDs leave primary school this year - so they have been ticking off their lasts (Nativity, Pancake Race etc).

They will miss their friends, most of whom they've known since Nursery School, as they won't be going to the same school as them, but are excited about their new school and making new friends.

It is a daunting, but exciting, change that most children seem to cope with quite well and the introduction day in the summer certainly helps :) .

I will miss the Nativities and Sports Days - its a different sort of involvement at High School - but they already seem quite grown up for Junior school.

Having older siblings means they already have some idea about what High School is like - a much bigger bag (especially on PE day ), more homework, interesting school trips and more independance.

At the other end my eldest leaves Uni this summer and has been lucky enough to have got a job offer - so yet more changes for this summer :D .
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Please don't listen to Abba's "Slipping Through My Fingers"... It starts me off every time!
thankgoditsover

Post by thankgoditsover »

I cried when my DDs left primary, one is in yr 10 now and the other yr 7. It will never cease to amaze me how much growing up they do in those first few months of year 7 :( , too old for cuddles almost and everything you do 'is embarassing' .Then its into the difficult hormonal stage :shock: ,gosh was i that awful too? The eldest is through that bit now and can converse with us without throwing a wobbly and slamming a door or two :lol: . Prom will be the next emotional event i think, gulp, where have all those years gone?

NB. I would say that I definately appreciate the time I spend with them now during the school holidays and feel quite sad when i hear other parents say they couldn't wait for their kids to go back to school :cry:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh I love school holidays too, always have done :D
ginx

Post by ginx »

Warks mum, maybe it's a Warwickshire thing because I feel emotional at the same song.

Thankgoditsover (gosh, what a mouthful of a name), I know exactly what you mean about school holidays. I enjoy and value ours (well, most of the time!) because one day there won't be school holidays, and my four children won't all be together. Most of the time they argue but sometimes they are pretty good together.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Personally love this song (Slipping Through My Fingers) too. I took DD to see Mamma Mia and she had no idea why I cuddled her throughout the song.

Teary eyes every time. Certain songs are emotional triggers aren't they.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I'm glad it's not just me, SleepyHead. I loved Mamma Mia! and felt very sad at "Slipping through my Fingers" because how true. Not just secondary school, but my seven year old going to junior school. I tend to forget him as he knows the school having had three siblings there, and it's right next to his infant school, but it's a change nonetheless.

It's hard work being a parent! And very emotional, especially when it comes to leaving.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

:)
Last edited by SleepyHead on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Wow! So not just me then :wink:
Thanks for sharing x
doodles

Post by doodles »

countrymum wrote:Wow! So not just me then :wink:
Thanks for sharing x
No it's not just you, me too.