Year 6 - Being stretched

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cassie7

Re: Year 6 - Being stretched

Post by cassie7 »

You ask a reallly good question Countrymum.

My kids are all in classes of 35 of an 'outstanding' primary, and I have come to the conclusion that if you are in the state sector, your child is not going to get the specific learning plan that stretches them to the best of their ability.

In summary, what am I trying to say? Every child has different requirements and in the state sector, the schools job I believe is to get every child to a minimum level, not (unfortunately) to get every child to the maximum of their potential! I guess thats one of the reasons independent schools are so popular!

Good SAT's scores boost the schools reputation and that is why there is so much frantic preparation in Y6 classrooms around the country!

Cassie7
Last edited by cassie7 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

cassie7 wrote: My kids are all in classes of 35 of an 'outstanding' primary, and I have come to the conclusion that if you are in the state sector, your child is not going to get the specific learning plan that stretches them to the best of their ability.
I'm afraid I have to disagree as there are some excellent state schools out there. My DD's school has a large cohort so they are able to stream pupils from an early age. For English and Maths they have three sets for each year, so pupils can be taught according to their ability. Top sets being stretched even further! :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree.

I was very happy with my DC's primary school and the teacher was able to differentiate and support each pupil.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think what Cassie says is true of some schools, thankfully not all, in all sectors.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks again for all the input, really interesting. With regards reaching potential, DD has often been in mixed classes (her cohort is very small) I do believe is difficult to get EVERY single child reaching their potential when you have say level 3's in with level 4/5's. I do think Cassie has a point that often (not always) teachers are pushing the ones who perhaps need the one to one/toe by toe etc and sometimes the very able ones who have a yearning to develop their own academic potential can get overlooked :?:

Ah what do I know, DD is out climbing trees as I type, and certainly not sitting behind a Sats paper, so no academic stretching tonight :wink:
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Just a thought ( and my DC on bikes outside as I type!) - is being stretched really important? And if so why?
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Well, it's important to some individuals, isn't it? Some people like to push themselves, be challenged, some aren't so bothered - it's not tightly related to intelligence, I don't think.

Those eleven year olds who are yearning to fulfil their potential will try to stretch themselves. Other equally bright kids will be more laidback.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I've never understood what stretching means. Teaching is about taking a child beyond what they already know / can do. If they go to school and this is not happening they are not being taught and there's not much point in going there. Is this stretching?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 is in yr5 and was identified as being particularly able in Maths a while back; this year he actually attends the regular Maths lessons of one of the yr7 forms at the local girls' :oops: GS, as well as a one-to-one session with a lovely young woman from yr13. Contact with the GS was initiated with our permission by our (State) Primary - not one of the ones in the Borough pushy Ps usually fight to get their DC into, BTW.

DS2 really enjoys his sessions at the GS - not sure what the yr7s make of him, though :lol: . He said today that he thought he heard his teacher say that he was currently a 6B in Maths, which may go a little way towards "un-gruntling" DD, a "real" yr7 in the top stream at her comp, as she is a 6A :) .

One thought I have had, is that while DS2 is off being stretched on someone else's premises, his teacher doesn't have to worry about her odd little outlier for a while and can get on with stretching / cajoling the other 24 or so in the class as appropriate.

Which should mean that eveyone is happy. And yes, he does have friends!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

neveragain* wrote:Just a thought ( and my DC on bikes outside as I type!) - is being stretched really important? And if so why?
Need a big fat 'like' button here. Learning to cope with boredom and finding resources within yourself are just as important as looking to others, even teachers, to carry out the necessary improvements to mind and body.

Ditto 'reaching one's potential' or even, as I have seen one or two suggest and which sounds horribly painful 'exceeding one's potential'. It isn't a human right, most people in the world would settle for not having to worry about where the next meal is coming from - and surely it has more to do with, over the course of a lifetime, exploring one's strengths and weaknesses, challenging oneself in the face of difficulty or dark times, helping others when one is feeling less than able to do it; than sitting on the top table for Maths or whatever.

(2 at scouts, having cycled there; one out running. OH planting tomatoes. The only person doing any stretching is me, trying to decide whether to do the ironing or have a bath)

Eta - love 'ungruntling' ToadMum. 'Disgruntled' is one of those words that don't have a positive - you can't be 'gruntled' can you? Might have to adopt that one. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now