Kitchen without exhaust hood?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Kitchen without exhaust hood?

Post by mystery »

Our kitchen was a disaster area that would have put any right minded future buyer off the house. Coupled with everything else that was wrong we launched an uplift onslaught a few years back in case we ever needed to sell.

The kitchen designers were all keen to sell us the latest in extraction technology. We now own something that could suck all the diners out of a fast food chain. It sounds like a jet engine, it pumps the smell out on to the patio and in through the bedroom windows above. If you are in the kitchen you can't smell burning even if the meal has ignited.

I don't switch it on. Dh loves it.

Buy the house. Does it stink? If it doesn't maybe they are a sensible family who live on take aways.
brentfordmum

Post by brentfordmum »

Thank you everyone for your replies. We're going to see the house again this friday, so will look around carefully , check if the floor feels sticky.
Mystery, the kitchen looked too tidy for a family with 3 small kids, I suspect they do live on take aways.
Sallytb, I didn't know the current regulations required ********* to have a hood, any idea from when ? This new extension was added in 2009, so does this mean they violate building regulations?

When I buy any house, if the house violates any building regulations, does it then become my responsibility to correct it?

Sorry everyone fo all these questions, just that I'm new to all this.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

The solution to the sticky floor is to wash it, it would take an awful lot to make the floor sticky like that :shock: Normal and regular floor washing should be all that is required.

I don't think cooker hoods are building reg requirements, but I'm not an expert on anything so am possibly wrong. Ring up your local planning department and ask. Also ask them whose responsibility it will be if you buy it.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The solution to the sticky floor is to wash it, it would take an awful lot to make the floor sticky like that Normal and regular floor washing should be all that is required.
They have a weekly cleaner, maybe they should sack her :lol: :lol: :lol:
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

brentfordmum wrote: Sallytb, I didn't know the current regulations required ********* to have a hood, any idea from when ? This new extension was added in 2009, so does this mean they violate building regulations?
When I buy any house, if the house violates any building regulations, does it then become my responsibility to correct it?.
We had our extension added in 2007 and definitely had the choice of hood or no hood. I don't think it is a regulation to have one installed. We don't live on takeaways, and we cook lots and even fry :oops: sometimes, but I still hate the thing. Just went to Lakeland to purchase the cleaner recommended on page one of this thread. Trouble in that shop is that you decide you need everything else - I came out with mould cleaner for the bathroom, grease remover for the kitchen tiles, blades for my hob scraper, and put back several other cleaning products when I realised I was looking like someone with a nasty OCD...and very sadly I sprayed some of the grease remover on the tiles to try it before I even got my jacket off. :oops:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
brentfordmum wrote: Sallytb, I didn't know the current regulations required ********* to have a hood, any idea from when ? This new extension was added in 2009, so does this mean they violate building regulations?
When I buy any house, if the house violates any building regulations, does it then become my responsibility to correct it?.
We had our extension added in 2007 and definitely had the choice of hood or no hood. I don't think it is a regulation to have one installed. We don't live on takeaways, and we cook lots and even fry :oops: sometimes, but I still hate the thing. Just went to Lakeland to purchase the cleaner recommended on page one of this thread. Trouble in that shop is that you decide you need everything else - I came out with mould cleaner for the bathroom, grease remover for the kitchen tiles, blades for my hob scraper, and put back several other cleaning products when I realised I was looking like someone with a nasty OCD...and very sadly I sprayed some of the grease remover on the tiles to try it before I even got my jacket off. :oops:
Best to shop on line with Lakeland - it's all. so bewildering you don't quite have the frantic "Ooh, that's a good idea" moment that leads you to spend £££. Let me know if the mould cleaner is any good. Neat bleach seems to be the only thing that shifts it.

I think you have to have ventilation, not necessarily a hood, but that could be wrong. Our friends (of the sticky floor) had theirs done in 2006 or 7 and I thought they didn't have to have one as they had a tiny extractor fan that probably was removed from the Ark to be installed in the house.
scary mum
marigold

Post by marigold »

Amber, that mould cleaner is FANTASTIC. We have very shabby sealant in our shower and once a month I give it a good spray and it positively gleams. Perhaps one day we will get around to replacing it, but it is so much easier just to spray.

Regarding the OP, we have a cooker hood but as I always cooking supper whilst listening to The Archers I never turn on the extractor as I would not be able to hear Pip/Tom/Helen whine above it's roar.
Amber

Post by Amber »

marigold wrote:Amber, that mould cleaner is FANTASTIC. We have very shabby sealant in our shower and once a month I give it a good spray and it positively gleams. Perhaps one day we will get around to replacing it, but it is so much easier just to spray..
Oh no what does this say about me? I've just returned from a nice long swim with DD and saw this post and I'm thinking 'right, must go and try that mould cleaner'. It's not like I have nothing else to do.

Scary, doesn't a window count as ventilation? I think lack of one of those in a kitchen would be a deal breaker.

Will let you know about the mould cleaner- with its own little detachable pump thing too....
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You can get a good mould and mildew remover spray from A***. I can't remember the make of it, but it's in a bright green bottle. We get a touch in the shower ever since we had a new and more powerful one fitted a couple of years ago. As a consequence we have more steam in the bathroom, which of itself isn't a problem, the only time it's a nuisance is in the spring/autumn time when it's not cold enough for the heating to be on (to dry the room out) and it rains a lot so we can't open the window very much to dry it out either (it's a skylight/roof velux window, the rain comes stright in). The point is, I bet the one sold in A*** is cheaper.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ok mould cleaner update. (It had 50% extra free snowdrops and I don't live near an A***, or indeed an Asda).

It stings your hands and made both me and the cat sneeze. Ventilation an absolute must, which in a shower cubicle is hard to achieve and unless you're cleaning it with foul liquid is probably actually not that desirable. It does work, but I reckon yours must have been cleaner and shinier than ours to start with marigold. I always know when it says 'heavily stained areas may need a second application' that it has me in mind.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now