Social interactions between parents, host and party guests.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Social interactions between parents, host and party gues

Post by scary mum »

I always over-cater massively, so am always dishing out left over food to all and sundry!

On a similar vein to the OP, over the weekend I found a party invitation on DS2's floor from a girl in his class who I had never heard of. I got the impression the whole class had been invited. When he got home this evening DH asked him if he was going. He announced that none of his friends were going, he had told the girl concerned that he wasn't and that "it wasn't his sort of thing" :oops: :oops: :oops: I am mortified and DH is contacting the mother as we speak. My son clearly needs to learn to tell little white lies when appropriate. Poor girl must have felt awful :(
scary mum
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I assumed that DG meant that the guests took more food than they wanted and so much of it went in the bin.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

KS10 wrote:I assumed that DG meant that the guests took more food than they wanted and so much of it went in the bin.
Yes of course. :D
There is always a degree of waste at parties, and yes, youngsters do sometimes take advantage and indulge, over-filling their plates. Sometimes the food is lousy - which I've thought once or twice. :lol: Plate is then discreetly discarded. :wink:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

I really don't want to ask this but kind of want to. What age is 'appropriate' for youngsters to drink alcohol at parties these days. Please, please don't tell me you know of 12 and 13 year olds getting drunk at the weekends :shock:

My DD really thinks is awful stuff, and never ever, ever, ever wants to taste it, ever! I'm happy with that! However I'm sure sure she may just want a little taste one day.

It does interest me and I really do like to hear of people's experiences, especially as my 11 year old is growing, maturing, changing, right in front of my eyes. I still tag along with her at her parties. Well, I chat to the lovely host for such a long time..."oh look the party is nearly over, I may as well stay" ;)

Reminds me- I must start to lengthen those apron strings :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the- ... -under-18s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whenever you, and they, feel comfortable about it given the law / facts above.

Mine didn't have access to alcohol at a teen party until sixth form. They had some with us, with dinner, on special occasions at home from age 14/15. But they didn't particularly like it much either at that age. I used to have to finish it off for them! :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

We've had the "let me try your beer daddy" and they have had a sip and spat it out declaring it to be "disgusting" - fine by me :lol:

If I pickup from a party / visit for DS1 (yr9) I do go to the door and make sure he says thanks and I say "hello" in a mannerly way but not a best buddy way iykwim. However, if it was a heaving hall of teenagers I am not sure that I would wade my way across and introduce myself. I trust that they know to thank the host and I always ask as they walk out "did you say thank you?" I really must sound like a stuck record. DS2 is only yr6 so I would expect a little more parental contact but to be honest at the moment I know most of the mums and dads of his friends really well so it's a bit different, I am sure that it will all change next year.
daughter

Post by daughter »

Re. Serving alcohol ... Very tricky so I have avoided holding parties at home between the ages of 15-17 when I think it can be difficult for DC (and parents). Under 15 absolutely I wouldn't serve it , but from 15 I have let my DC with a small group of friends have a drink ... Either a toast with a meal or similar or a very diluted pimms/cocktail. In those cases I have always checked with parents beforehand. My Dd hosted a dinner party with a friend to celebrate their 15th birthdays - I would have been happy for them to have one drink each but the co-hosts parents were not happy with this so we served non-alcoholic "champagne". I personally think alcopops are the worst and I have a big problem with them. I also prefer to provide drinks, than have friends bring them (talking 17+yrs) -there is a bright blue drink that I call WD40 that is particularly obnoxious.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Ds1 (yr8) recently went to a party where the whole of his class had been invited. It was in a village hall and when I dropped him off I went to say hello. We were about ten minutes early as I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there and we were met by the hostess who told us that her parents hadn't yet arrived but would be there soon. Other dc's were arriving as well so I left Ds1 at the hall with instructions to phone if they didn't arrive. Parents arrived, all went well, but when I arrived to collect Ds1 the dc's were spilling out of the hall so I didn't drag him back inside to say goodbye. I would hope that he followed all of the protocols having had them drummed in since he was a toddler. I didn't see the parents but I was assured that they were there:) Perhaps I was rude, I had no desire to embarrass Ds1 by dragging him back inside like a toddler.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

With a big party like that and everyone leaving at the same time it was probably a bit too hectic. It was a shame they were not there when you arrived. My dd had just ten guests and there were lots of car shares so I am only talking about the behaviour of five parents, two of whom were married to each other! One did drop off and one did pick up. The food and drink issue was to do with those who decided to use it as disposable toys. DG
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Had it been a smaller gathering then I think your right, I would have gone in. To be honest 30 teenagers heading through a door in your direction.... eek:)
I would not have been impressed if I threw a party for my dcs and their friends used food for toys. The last party I threw, I used a whistle to get their attention, I think it would get use if I had been in your situation.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now