What do you think of this?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
koala

Re: What do you think of this?

Post by koala »

Mystery, I now realise what a wonderful village school my children went to. The staff room area and the reception had often got children in there returning the class registers and being thanked by the receptionist for returning them. Clearly there were rules at the school but I certainly didn't get the impression that the staff room and the area around it was out of bounds to the children. I am sure a teacher will now come on and tell us that staff rooms have to be out of bounds for the children for various reasons. In a small school, you have to utilise all the resources you have, including multiple uses for the staff room. Just my thoughts.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

The staff room would be totally out of bounds at my DD's school too - but she is also not allowed into any classroom without a teacher in it. Even if she realises she has left something in there when I pick her up she won't go back in to get it if the room is empty.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I've just asked my DD and at first she said no, then said yes, pupils might be left in the classroom by themselves to finish off some work. I've no idea if this is the case... :lol:
JRM

Post by JRM »

I could throw confusion in to this discussion by telling you that a child at our school escaped out of the fire door in the staffroom a couple of weeks ago. It maybe would have been better if it were out of bounds...
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
mystery

Post by mystery »

Lol! Is it that bad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A Yr1 child escaped during first break once when I was helping at our primary. School policy apparently is not to actually fetch the child back, but just to follow him / her (I may have misunderstood this, but given some of their other policies, possibly not :shock: ). This particular kid was new to the area and the school, and may not have had any real idea which way home was. He was back in the classroom fairly quickly, which suggests that possibly the LSA trotting after him waited until they were round the corner out of sight then completely abandoned policy, rather than tag along behind waiting for the little darling to decide to sample the joys of the main road.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

Lol! It is the school policy (not a printed one) that children should do lunchtime detention for catching up on work that they feel should have been completed in lesson time on their own. The room they do it in is passed through by staff from time to time.

They don't have a system for anyone being aware whether a child has gone to the right place at the right time though, there is no reporting to the teacher at the start or end of the detention, there is no detention log making it clear that the child should have been in that room rather than outside at that time.

Have to say I don't really care that much about all of that as long as they are teaching children a clear procedure as to what to do if there is a fire or an unpleasant intrusion during their time in the room, and that the work is being checked for adequacy, which it was not. The member of staff who set the detention was part time and had gone home before it started.

I think it unlikely my dd will make the same mistake of forgetting to do a piece of work again but, just in case, I will tell her what to do in case of fire etc myself.