BIG DECISION - Outstanding grammar v grammar stream in non G

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Re: BIG DECISION - Outstanding grammar v grammar stream in n

Post by ginx »

Pheasantchick, if it was me I'd send my dc to the gs with a view he can change to the non g-s, but can't do it the other way round. Unless you and he and mr pheasantchick really feel that's wrong. Once decided, you can start thinking about the positive things of the gs, and talk about all the things he will have to look forward to there.

But that's only me ... and I don't mean to sound brutal. :?
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I have to say I agree.

We spent so long bigging up the non selective choice, in case we were unsuccessful, DD was convinced it was the better school.
:shock:

We went to the pub for tea and weighed up all the pros and cons, DD got quite upset, we slept on it, and te next morning she'd decided.

I have to say, if we tried to go back to the non .gs, we'd never get in. :( That's why we had to be sure.

After we made choice she was so happy. I think the shock of getting an offer threw her initially.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Brutal is good, or at least in this case! We've been weighing up the pros and cons for days.

Yesterday we had a chat and said we felt that dc's should go to grammar. He calmly said 'okay'. I believe he even mentioned it to a friend as well. I thought I'd let him sleep on it to see if he would say anything, but he hasn't come back and said I really want to go to non-Gs. I think our decision has been made. Thanks to everyone. They have been useful.
penguin

Post by penguin »

I'm sending you a PM - I was going to accidentally type it all out here and out myself and jeopardise things - I've been away too long :shock:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Update - a slighty nervous but happy ds went of for his induction day today at the grammar.

Last week we had a parents meeting and picked up his uniform. The first thing he wanted to try on when we got home was his new blazer. Previously, on his for and against list, one negative for the Gs was 'uniform'. On further questioning, he said he didn't want to wear a blazer!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

:D Looks like he's coming round.