Mobile phone network advice for Luddite please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

Re: Mobile phone network advice for Luddite please

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks, that's really interesting. Can you get 3G anywhere or does that have specific network zones?
Thanks.
So does this seem like quite a decent deal?

£24 Ultimate Internet 300
300 cross-network mins + 5000 texts + All-you-can-eat Data • 24 months
£ 24.00 a month

Does anyone else have experience of 3 and also how does the 3G work? Can you just get that in hotspots or where/how do you get internet? Is it wi fi? (Sorry, it's late and I'm a Luddite! :oops: )

PS Have just been reading about this being super fast. Is that true, Stroudy?
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:Personally I'd be going with Three.. But I do use huge amounts of Data.. Also all their tethering is free.
No it isn't. It depends which contract you have.

I have an iPhone with them. The 3G is good and I never turn on the wifi. I also noted that I had a signal at a large sports event recently when lots of people were shaking their phones and looking to the sky in puzzlement.

I get 200 more minutes than that and unlimited data, for less money- £24/month for something which isn't an iPhone sounds a lot to me; but then I am biased, and I live with 3 out of 4 others who use Samsung and I swear they're all jealous. 8)
mad?

Post by mad? »

I have an S3 with 3. 2 year contract £24 per month, unlimited data, fabulous coverage. Have to say I love it...and my iphone hubbie is jealous :P
mad?
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks very much, this forum is wonderful. :D
One final question before I sign on the dotted line: is there a way to keep my current Vodaphone number if I change to 3?
Amber, you say the 3G is good and you never turn on the wifi, is that their wifi or BTs? Is the 3G just there?
Have a great weekend all!
Amber

Post by Amber »

You can keep your number by requesting a PAC code from the old provider which you then give to the new provider. They will switch it for you. I moved from vodafone to 3 with little hassle.

If you switch wifi on your phone just looks for the nearest network and you sign into that like you would on a computer or an iPad. 3G is just 'there', though as with mobile coverage, there are some black spots with no coverage. I can't see the point in signing into wifi if I have free 3G on the phone - it just uses more battery. The only times I've used it are for software updates when it tells you it needs it. Not BT- I wouldn't touch that with a telegraph pole- we use another provider at home.

HTH.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Brilliant, thanks Amber!

Update: 'Tis done! Am now the proud owner of an S3 with 3! Many thanks to you all for all of your help. :D