Guinea Pig or hamster help needed

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Guinea Pig or hamster help needed

Post by Amber »

copella wrote:Also next door has a cat who seems to think we also own it. It would be devastated if we bought one..
Cats don't really do 'devastated' copella. Sneery, condescending, aloof yes...but never anything as obvious as devastated.

We had guinea pigs when I was young as I wanted something to care for as well. My father did a sterling job once the novelty wore off for me (c 2 weeks). They lived outside in a hutch and were allowed in a run on the grass when we were outside. They are not grass wreckers - they like to munch on some fresh grass or dandelion leaves but they are only small so unless you are going to get a whole flock/herd/colony of the things they are unlikely to mar the landscape permanently. They are cute and they have a very sweet squeak too.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My sister has had guinea pigs for years. They have 'trained' my niece to feed them by squeaking at her when they see her. They spend days in the run on the lawn, but are very affectionate and some can be very intelligent. They can be brought inside for a play session.

If you are worried about smell, then think gerbil, if its not too small. I had a couple. Unfortunately they don't live long, about the same as hamsters, but not nocturnal and far less smelly.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I vote pair of (same sex!) gerbils.

Personally speaking as a parent of many pets, a 2-3 year lifespan for a DC pet is ideal. DC are well bored by then.

Low smell, amusing, friendly, bite less than hamsters and more often awake when you are.

Easy to get other kids/neighbour to mind when you are away, they just need to check water daily and throw in some food really.

They are really good at shredding paper and cardboard for you compost if you like gardening.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My mum used to work in a school so we got gerbils from there - and various other pets came home for the summer holidays. Thankfully we had a tiny house so they had to get someone else to look after the sheep and cow! We used to have to go in during the hols to feed the locusts etc as no one would have them

All I remember about the gerbils was incessant scrabbling - and one of them shed its tail when being recovered from behind the piano which was truly revolting. I am sure there would good aspects too but those have faded - and we had cats at the time which chose to be very affectionate so no contest really.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

The other thing to consider is what you are planning to do if you go away. Hamsters can be given a pile of food and an extra water bottle to keep them going, but guinea pigs will need someone to come in every day. Luckily, I have an overbearing neighbour who takes it upon herself to clean all my cages and bottles so they are squeaky clean....I now save up all the dirt for her biannual visit :D

I also fancy a goat.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

me too but it would probably still look like food to the dog unless it was a big one - the pygmy ones are very cute.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

We had a hamster, until fairly recently. She was cute and I was sad when she died. She was fairly easy to look after - we took her around to a neighbours's house when we went on holiday. We handled her alot as a baby so she didn't bite, unless you had just handled food and still had food smell on your hands,
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

We have gerbils - 2 of them - which are really very little bother, are not nocturnal, and get very friendly if you handle them plenty. Would recommend girls rather than boys if you get them. We had girls first (lived about 3 years), now boys, and the girls were nicer IMHO. Need clearing out once a week or so, food, water - can be left for a few days as long as their food and water are full up.

We also have rabbits - 3 of them now. All rescued - you definitely don't need to buy rabbits from a shop - there are so many needing to be rehomed! They are a little more trouble - but nothing too major - need vaccinations once a year which cost about £30 per rabbit. Plus speying / castrating if they have not already been done (80% of female rabbits get ovarian cancer apparently so its recommended they be 'done'), plus 'a hutch is not enough - they need space to run - whether you keep them inside or ourside (they can be house trained). Regular clearing out and handling also needed, and you'll need someone to take over when you go on holiday. They are lovely though!

With the above 2 animals - they do need a friend - so always get 2! At least!

HTH

Booklady :D
copella

Post by copella »

Thanks everyone, this forum is brilliant once the 11 plus is over, helped me decide about my iPad and now pets :) I know Amber, devastated is the wrong word, but she would be a bit p....ed off. Now gerbils that sounds good. We would buy two anyway for company. They sound great as they are not nocturnal and small like hamsters. Why girls and not boys? Are boys aggressive?
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

copella wrote:Thanks everyone, this forum is brilliant once the 11 plus is over, helped me decide about my iPad and now pets :) I know Amber, devastated is the wrong word, but she would be a bit p....ed off. Now gerbils that sounds good. We would buy two anyway for company. They sound great as they are not nocturnal and small like hamsters. Why girls and not boys? Are boys aggressive?
No the boys aren't aggressive - they are just are not as sweet as the girls were - although my DD loved both the girls and the boys. One of the boys does bully the other a bit - so much so that he was starving and losing weight - till we took special care to feed him up. They are very fast though - you need to be speedy to catch them. And be sure to get a wire and glass cage - they chew their way through anything plastic!! Glass on the bottom like a fish tank - and wire up the top.

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by Booklady on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.