Phonics screening check

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Okanagan

Re: Phonics screening check

Post by Okanagan »

I'm sure they'll do it again next year and if they tell him in advance that they want him to read what's written even it doesn't make sense he'll be fine. When he's reading he will sound out a new or unfamiliar word, so I think he's just spontaneously added an extra element to the task.

Its fair to say though that he's not made as much progress as I'd have liked this year - both the year one teachers at his school were off sick for 6 months, but both always due back "in a week or two" meaning he's just had a succession of supply teachers, and the lack of consistency certainly hasn't helped him.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

fatbananas wrote:
stroudydad wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is all about? Have just received ds2's report (which makes fairly uncomfortable reading) and it includes a result of 39 on his phonics screening check, which I had not heard of before can anyone enlighten me what this is all about?
They change so much. A different teacher, being a bit older, can make all the difference, particularly with boys. His reading is obviously very good, so with the right teacher, I'm sure he'll blossom.
The uncomfortable bit is more abou his behaviour and focus than ability... I quote "...... Is very aware of right from wrong and the class rules, however he tends to disregard them if they get in the way of what he wants to do." I could go on there are plenty more of that ilk.. :-)
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Okanagan, our dd had this exact same problem with teachers in year 1and made hardly any progress. This is the same DD that just got 100% in all her sats.... Just goes to show that people learn differently, and if someone wants to achieve, they will..
ginx

Post by ginx »

Boys :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh dear, yes that is not a good way for year 1 to go. We had half a year of that in reception, a not so good in other ways year 1, and a disastrous term at the beginning of year 2 which culminated in a teacher being replaced by a much keener one - so I know what you mean. But facing up to two years of the doldrums now. Personally I'll be glad to see the back of primary school where too much rests on one teacher.

Yes it does sound as though he just suddenly he invented his own thing during the test. Maybe the tester was inexperienced? It is supposed to be done with someone who knows the child. I can't believe they didn't do any practice at all before the test either. This is the second year of it, and there was plenty of stuff around about it before the first year of it. Your school sounds as though they are a little asleep.

If they have other good ways of showing to you that his phonic decoding skills are equivalent to a pass then I'd be happy (e.g. regular decoding checks that they do one to one as part of their phonics scheme) .... otherwise you see they are supposed to be telling you what they will do extra from now on in order that he catches up. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about and that you would know if he did not have the solid rudiments of accurate decoding of unfamiliar words but I'd be inclined not to let them off the hook after such a rubbish year! It's one thing a teacher going off sick for a long time, it's another having a constant change of supply teachers.

Yes he will be tested again at the end of year 2 - but it's the same check as for the children at the end of year 1. Ideally you would them to have caught up on their decoding skills with the main bulk of the class and not be a year behind at that stage though .... a slightly more advanced check I feel would really be in order as it really is terribly basic.

Good luck.
mystery

Post by mystery »

stroudydad wrote:
fatbananas wrote:
stroudydad wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is all about? Have just received ds2's report (which makes fairly uncomfortable reading) and it includes a result of 39 on his phonics screening check, which I had not heard of before can anyone enlighten me what this is all about?
They change so much. A different teacher, being a bit older, can make all the difference, particularly with boys. His reading is obviously very good, so with the right teacher, I'm sure he'll blossom.
The uncomfortable bit is more abou his behaviour and focus than ability... I quote "...... Is very aware of right from wrong and the class rules, however he tends to disregard them if they get in the way of what he wants to do." I could go on there are plenty more of that ilk.. :-)
Sounds like he didn't get on with that teacher! Really I'd bin it as if it had been something that really mattered they should have worked with you and your son during the year on a behaviour management plan of some sort rather than just getting it off their chest in a written report before the summer.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Actually he loves his teacher, He's a boy, being a boy... He'll settle down, Ds1 was similar... The good thing is they can all tell he is very bright... Hopefully this year he'll have to knuckle down and concentrate a bit rather than coasting, because that'll help.
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

Okanagan wrote:ds2 "failed" this! He apparently thought he only had to say the words which made sense and just said "rubbish", "nonsense" or "that's not a word" to the others.
My DD said that they are shown what the nonsense words are (by a picture of an alien I think?) and they'd been asked to think of it as a name and read how they think it would sound. She said she stumbled at the word "fuel", but didn't correct herself because she wasn't sure it was allowed.
mystery

Post by mystery »

stroudydad wrote:Actually he loves his teacher, He's a boy, being a boy... He'll settle down, Ds1 was similar... The good thing is they can all tell he is very bright... Hopefully this year he'll have to knuckle down and concentrate a bit rather than coasting, because that'll help.
LOL! Yes I didn't really mean it that way - I meant get on in the way of it being a good working relationship - boy or not! It just seems a bit wrong to be sending a very bright boy home with a report listing his behavioural failings in class .... s'pose it's by way of apology for the "coasting" this year. I'd still bin it if it felt depressing to read. It's a record of how he and that particular teacher got on - not necessarily how he will be in everyone's class. Hope someone gets the measure of him next year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now