How much work should dd do in holidays for gs?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ginx

Re: How much work should dd do in holidays for gs?

Post by ginx »

Hi, Mystery. I think she read her book too fast because she read it in an hour or so.

Dh says she's a genius. You know, maybe he is right. :lol: In fact, I told him your opinion that she is a good speed reader and he agrees, that would seem to be the case.

Amber, I'm glad to hear your dc didn't have work set. We also have tiredness from camping (albeit only in the summer house). Also, dd2 has decided she wants to get fit - she will be cycling to her new school - so we're doing a swift 7 miles each morning, leaving about 8am. It's killing me :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Which book did she read in an hour? She could have read it properly. I once did a penguin teach yourself speed reading book. You could calculate your reading speed on each passage very easily and there were comprehension questions. So you could tell if you were sacrificing anything with increasing speed. Do you have any other reason for thinking she is reading too fast? If you calculate the speed can you see that it is beyond normal human limits, and if you stop her randomly and ask her a question relating to the last page or two is it clear she is missing out huge chunks?
ginx

Post by ginx »

The latest was Oliver Twist. However, she has seen the film and knows the story.

The one before that was a pretty pink book called Star Girl. Looks one up from a fairy book, in my opinion, but it's on the list.

Clever dd2 chose books off here which sound similar. I've bought a few that "sound" more difficult but as KS10 I think said, we should go into a book shop really, rather than just randomly buying from Amazon.

I have actually asked her questions relating to the last page or somewhere and she always - always - gets it right. Maybe she is a speed reader. English is her strong point.

We'll just keep going. Thanks for your advice as usual.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:What is Opening Minds when it's at home? It's the only bit that sounds interesting to me. DIY brain surgery?
School I taught in had this instead of History, Geography and RE in KS3. A kind of woolly mix of the three. It was in vogue a few years ago - hadn't realised it was still going. Quite long-lived for an English curriculum initiative. Unless it means something else at OK's school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

ginx wrote:The latest was Oliver Twist. However, she has seen the film and knows the story.

The one before that was a pretty pink book called Star Girl. Looks one up from a fairy book, in my opinion, but it's on the list.

Clever dd2 chose books off here which sound similar. I've bought a few that "sound" more difficult but as KS10 I think said, we should go into a book shop really, rather than just randomly buying from Amazon.

I have actually asked her questions relating to the last page or somewhere and she always - always - gets it right. Maybe she is a speed reader. English is her strong point.

We'll just keep going. Thanks for your advice as usual.
:shock: Oliver Twist unabridged in one hour certainly does defy belief! Our ancient edition is 300 sides of very small print. Five pages per minute of this very tiny print would be something else - you would certainly qualify for your family to appear on one of those TV programmes! It's puzzling though that she would want to spend a whole hour flicking the pages and reading random bits.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

It seems to be a catch all title for geography, history, RE, citizenship and creative thinking, with a bit of philosophy and current affairs thrown in for good measure. Only one piece of work across all those though, thank goodness.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh well that's good .... one mish-mash piece of homework could cover the whole lot if you're cunning.