Ramadan 2013

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Ramadan 2013

Post by Sally-Anne »

future wrote:We ought to keep to the 11+ topic on this forum. There is enough exposure to cultures and religions elsewhere. Do you agree with me?
There is no reason that Ramadan cannot be discussed on the "Everything Else" section. It is a valid topic and in the right place on the forum.

Provided members follow Forum Rules when posting, especially Rule 2: "Posts that may incite religious or racial hatred or contain potentially libellous comments will be removed without warning." there should be no difficulties.

I admire all Muslims who have managed to observe the fast this year because it has been very tough indeed. Happy Eid for Thursday!
Elvy

Post by Elvy »

I think that's a good idea Sally-Anne, and I most certainly agree that we can have a nice discussion about this matter without it getting out of hand. As long everbody just follows the rules! :D
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Totally agree, that's why the question was deliberately not answered , spotted the honey trap.

This thread is valid due to number of families having to revise during this most blessed of months as well as the hours of fasting.

Eid mubarek to all
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

Interesting that the comment regarding sticking to 11plus topics was made on this particular thread? The rest of the Everything Else section contains threads about a huge number of topics such as diets, Wimbledon, days out, buying gifts and any number of other topics un related to 11 Plus. I wonder why Future did not feel the need to intervene in those discussions?

Anyway Eid Mubarak to everyone that is celebrating.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Everything else is, as the title suggests, about everything else!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

PROBSNAIVE wrote:I wonder why Future did not feel the need to intervene in those discussions?
Because she joined the forum only a couple of weeks ago.

sbarnes, I don't think there was a "honey trap" by LLL. I would also like to gain more understanding of the point you made.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I have found this thread very interesting, having lived in Leicester for three years as a student I understood a little about Ramadan but, the impact if it on studying / 11plus hadn't occurred to me.

Happy Eid (hope that's correct and not offensive by mistake).
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Thank you, khair mubarek. This means congrats by return.

This Eid is the second biggest muslim festival in the Islamic calendar. But I would argue the sweetest as it is a day to celebrate the end of fasting. This is especially so considering the number of hours we are having to fast. Next year the month will start in the fourth week of June and then 10 days earlier year on year. In three years time around the longest days of the year so nearly 19 hrs of fast. Hence why Eid is so special.

I will be going off topic if I was to discuss destiny and fiqh!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

WARNING!!! long post alert. I am going to attempt to answer loopy loo's request to explain the following quote.
"remember our health, wealth and happiness is pre-ordained for all of us."

Muslims believe in the Divine Decree, God is the creator of all things, including human actions.

However, it is at the same time true that God has made us morally responsible for our acts and it is we who shall be questioned about the choices we make. The human being is morally responsible and acts on the basis of choice.

While we need to carry out our duty to the best of our abilities, always remember that you don't control the outcome of events. Even the Prophets did not control the outcome of their efforts. Some were successful, others were not. Once you have done your duty, leave the results to God. Regardless of the results of your efforts, you will be rewarded for the part you have played.

Re the wealth and health aspect: we need to know what rizq means. Rizq (provisions) is what has been apportioned for you which benefits you. When we refer to rizq, many people assume it is just money. But rizq is what benefits you. So it can be money and any material thing in this world. It can also be something emotional.

Striving is a Condition of Rizq.

The crux of the matter is your rizq will not come to you if you do not work for it. That is the essential difference between a gift—and rizq. Your rizq is written for you but in order for you to unlock the door, you need to work as if your rizq depended on how hard you try, but in your heart, you know that nothing will come to you except what Allah (swt) has written for you.

And this is why if we truly believe in God providing for us, we will never ever seek haraam (prohibited) means of living. If we truly believe that what has been written will come to us, then we know that we do not need to seek unethical ways of making a living. We work in whatever way that we can, in a manner that befits us as Muslims, knowing that it is Allah (swt) Who will provide for us.

"And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if anyone puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is (Allah) for him. For Allah will surely accomplish His purpose. Verily, for all things has Allah appointed a due proportion (Quran 65:3).

I hope this answers your question loopy loo. Feel free to email me with any other question you may have.
Happy Eid!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Sorry Loopy just realized I spelt your name wrong a multiple of times!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now