Music Levels

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KS10

Music Levels

Post by KS10 »

I have bought DD a Harry Potter music book containing instrumental solos (violin). It says it's Level 2-3. Is that the same as Grade 2-3?
silverysea

Re: Music Levels

Post by silverysea »

At a guess I would think yes- they probably can't say it straight out as it won't have been passed by the exam boards that test the official grades.

Sounds fab let us know how she gets on with it.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks. It's a US publication and I tried googling but, not being musical, it meant nothing to me.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

No, they are not the same. We also bought the Harry Potter pieces a couple of years ago for DD. Her clarinet teacher said they were approx grade 3-4.
ABRSM grades are an English system not used in the US.
Sheet music levels vary between publishers but this scale I believe goes from 1 (beginner) up to 5 ( advanced) and then P for professional.
level 2 is described as easy
level 3 is described as medium
The book has some nice pieces in it, DDs favorite is Professor Umbridge's theme.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks for that, Minesatea. My favourite is Double Trouble I think, but I tend to change my mind a lot. There's another one out with some of the old pieces and 7 or 8 new ones too. She's much happier playing the HP pieces than practising for her grades and who can blame her?
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

If it's the same book my daughter has (also violin) then Hedwigs Theme is on the ABRSM syllabus for Grade 2. The book listed by ABRSM was different, but the music for the piece was identical.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Hi FC,
I have sent you a link via pm.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now